Changes Taking Hold At Foxconn

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like all the pressure put on Chinese companies is starting to work. I know Foxconn giving employees better chairs may not sound like much, but it's a start.

When Ms. Pu was hired at this Foxconn plant a year earlier, she received a short, green plastic stool that left her unsupported back so sore that she could barely sleep at night. Eventually, she was promoted to a wooden chair, but the backrest was much too small to lean against. The managers of this 164,000-employee factory, she surmised, believed that comfort encouraged sloth.

Care-O-Meter [\........]

You'll have some worthy news when Apple starts buying from vendors that manufacture in the states.

This is good news. I for one would not mind paying slightly more knowing that people are not being mistreated in supplying my equipment. Ideally however, I would rather be paying that premium for goods manufactured in this country, but it does not appear that will ever happen. I am not opposed to a global marketplace as long as countries to whom we are contributing our GDP, are contributing back in some way and not trying to undermine our economy. In any case its nice to see our influence creating a better workplace for them.

You'll have some worthy news when Apple starts buying from vendors that manufacture in the states.

Yes.. because every other manufacturer buys from vendors in the states, lol. You act like Apple is the only one that uses Foxcon. You just typed this message on a keyboard that was more than likely put togther over there. Not to mention every part in your rig.

Read this one: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/12/27/business/Improving-Working-Conditions-at-Foxconn.html

"Earlier this year, Foxconn announced that by next summer no employee would be allowed to work more than an average of 49 hours a week. Previously some employees worked schedules that approached 100 hours a week."

"Many Foxconn workers were unaware that they were represented by a union, and union committees were often staffed by factory managers."

"Workers’ names and time spent in the toilet were posted in public. Also, names of disciplined workers were posted. "

Insane.

Yes.. because every other manufacturer buys from vendors in the states, lol. You act like Apple is the only one that uses Foxcon.

I chose Apple because they are one of the biggest, and almost certainly the most profitable, manufacturer to source shit from China. With their profit margin, they could easily afford to source and assemble their products here in the US. Instead, they and their customers 'Express concern' over the poor bastards slaving away on the other side of the world? Yea, that's just so touching.... :rolleyes:

You just typed this message on a keyboard that was more than likely put togther over there. Not to mention every part in your rig.

DoH, Homer! FWIW, I do TRY to buy US whenever possible. My SSD and ram are Micron, supposedly made with US components. I do what I can. Do you?

I chose Apple because they are one of the biggest, and almost certainly the most profitable, manufacturer to source shit from China. With their profit margin, they could easily afford to source and assemble their products here in the US. Instead, they and their customers 'Express concern' over the poor bastards slaving away on the other side of the world? Yea, that's just so touching.... :rolleyes:

DoH, Homer! FWIW, I do TRY to buy US whenever possible. My SSD and ram are Micron, supposedly made with US components. I do what I can. Do you?

Yeah I do agree with that. Apple's profit margin per product sold makes Jeweler's like Kay and Jared look like angels to their customers in comparison.

Back