Changed motherboard/cpu/memory, now the PSU is beeping

HaMMerHeD

[H]F Junkie
Today, I upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and memory. I went from an ASUS A8N-SLI with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+, and 2 GB of Corsair DDR-400 to a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 and 4 GB of Mushkin DDR2-800.

I have an Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000 W power supply.

When I had the AMD hardware installed, I heard no beeps and the status light on the back of the PSU was green. After I installed the Intel hardware, I began hearing two quick beeps every 3 seconds, and the status light changed to red. Apart from those two conditions, the computer is operating normally.

Looking through the Galaxy's user's manual, I came across the following 2 options for this error-condition information:

A) Power Good (PG) Signal Abnormal
B) System loading lower than PSU minimum output requirement

The minimum output requirement is 50 W, and since this computer is using about 200 W sitting here, I think it is safe to deduce that option B does not apply here.

So looking at option A, I am no further to answering this question. Why would this condition change after installing new hardware, unless the PSU was somehow damaged during the upgrade?

Any thoughts?

The computer won't boot unless it gets a PG signal, so right now signs point to the power supply. Try hooking it back up to the old components and see if it functions normally. If it does there may be something wonky with your motherboard, or you've managed to stumble into one of those one-in-a-thousand PSU/motherboard incompatibilities.

I must admit that Power Supplies are alien creations to me.

By your statement, I assume that the Motherboard is signalling the PSU that the power it is receiving is good to go, but it is doing so in a manner to which the PSU does not understand?

But if the PG signal is that critical, then why would the system continue to boot and work as normal?

It shouldn't, which is why I think the PSU is the problem. The motherboard would refuse to do anything if it wasn't getting a PG signal, so the power supply is indicating a condition that doesn't exist.

It shouldn't, which is why I think the PSU is the problem. The motherboard would refuse to do anything if it wasn't getting a PG signal, so the power supply is indicating a condition that doesn't exist.

I think it may be the motherboard. I recently replaced my old D-Link Fast Ethernet switch with a Netgear GbE switch, and the GbE NIC on the motherboard will only intermittently connect at 1.0 gbps. It almost always connects at 100 mbps. I have two other machines plugged into the switch, and both of them have Gigabyte motherboards with the same onboard NIC, and they both connect at 1.0 gbps every time.

RMA time for me, I think.

Sorry I missed this the first time Mark. If the RMA doesn't correct the issue post back or email me and I'll help you with it.

Back