Changed ISPs... now internet "times out"

Hooligan

Gawd
So after 9 days of going without internet access cuz my ISP (Telmex - 5mbit down / 512k up) kinda blows, I decided enough was enough and I signed up for another ISP (Axtel 40mbit down / 3mbit up). (Both are DSL)

My problem is that ever since switching to the new ISP (Axtel) now I can't even buffer a 2 minute youtube video... like, it will start loading FAST...( I am getting 40 mbits/sec on this ISP) and then it stops loading the rest of the video.

It does the same on ted.com videos... it will start playing and after a few seconds stop and it will give me an error such as this one:

Code:
Unable to play the video specified: rtmp:1935//streaming.ted.com/mp4:talk/stream/2011U/Blank/RicElias_2011U-320k

I can't stream music or videos at all :( it will stop downloading the stream / stop buffering randomly within a few seconds. Grooveshark and other internet radio for example.

Also, downloading a file through any web browser will also stop eventually - I kept trying to download drivers for my video card off nvidia.com and it took about 10 attempts to finally download them - cuz even tho I was downloading at over 1.5 mbytes/sec it would suddenly stop.

Also, when I try to play online games, I also get disconnected from chat servers and games.

Here's the kicker... it does it on both my desktop and laptop... even with a direct cat5 cable connected to the modem (no routers or wifi).

Since I just got this installed yesterday, I still have my other connection available, and that is working fine - so its not a software / network problem... it's definitely an ISP / Modem issue... unless it's happening because it's too fast? (lol?)

I guess my question is... is there a way I can kind of log the net traffic to see what is going on? I obviously called the ISP support dept. and they told me they reset the modem/line and to call back tomorrow if problem persisted.

This is problem definitely out of your control so you should demand your new ISP to fix it.

They're sending out a tech to check it out tomorrow...

I need to know how to PROVE it to him tho... I am afraid he will load up google.com and see it loads and say its working as intended.

So difficult to explain tho and so random :(

They're sending out a tech to check it out tomorrow...

I need to know how to PROVE it to him tho... I am afraid he will load up google.com and see it loads and say its working as intended.

So difficult to explain tho and so random :(
let him download said nvidia drivers and stream said videos?

your ISP tech dept sucks if they told u too call back! LOL. That's a "I have no idea how to solve your issue so lets find a way to hang up!"

LOL.

It sounds like something on the line is capping your connection on the new ISP. I do not think it's something you can control and will have to go though heck and back to get the ISP to fix the issue.

let him download said nvidia drivers and stream said videos?

+1 to this. 100% agree. Doing your normal internet surfing on both modems and show him the difference.

He will prob have no idea how to solve it though (see my other post)

What's your MTU set at? I saw weird things happen when packets had to be fragmented for DSL's PPPoE. Normally 1492 is good enough, but a coworker back in the day had to drop it down to 1376 or something for it to not bork up the VPN connection.

MTU is set at 1500 i believe. Im at work right now though ill check when i get home

did you ever get this checked out?

what if you start command prompt and ping google:
click start menu
type "cmd" and hit enter in either the "run" dialog box or the search in vista/7
and type: ping www.google.com /t

Without doing any internet surfing, just leave it running for the same amount of time during which you would have timed out streaming or video gaming. Succesful pings should look like this:
Reply from 74.125.224.52: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=56
and unsuccessful one will say host unreachable, general failure, or some other bologna.
Does it ever fail a ping?

I did not check the MTU.. I talked with a friend who also has the same ISP and he told me a few things...

- call tech support and ask to be transfered to 2nd layer (no idea what that is)
- ask for a homologated IP address (i have a very rough idea what that is)
- ask for the HDCP settings so that you can setup your router to connect to the WAN instead of the provided "modem" which will only act as a bridge after you clone its mac address on the router.

I will try this in 1 hour. along with the ping test

a "homologated" IP, yeah, that should solve all your problems.

after the tech comes out and finds nothing wrong go through and check your max mtu settings, especially if you have ever run a broadband "optimizer" in the past.

Do a traceroute on address you provided. See if you get any issues on your hops. Could be a routing issue.

Secondly RTMP is a TCP packet so you should have error correction during data transfer.

I would install wireshark on your local machine and do a capture and see what is getting dropped when you try to load the specific video.

did you ever get this checked out?

what if you start command prompt and ping google:
click start menu
type "cmd" and hit enter in either the "run" dialog box or the search in vista/7
and type: ping www.google.com /t

Without doing any internet surfing, just leave it running for the same amount of time during which you would have timed out streaming or video gaming. Succesful pings should look like this:
Reply from 74.125.224.52: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=56
and unsuccessful one will say host unreachable, general failure, or some other bologna.
Does it ever fail a ping?

Ping statistics for 74.125.45.105:
Packets: Sent = 361, Received = 361, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 46ms

i see, so it's not some general internet failure.

edit:
- ask for a homologated IP address (i have a very rough idea what that is)
- ask for the HDCP settings so that you can setup your router to connect to the WAN instead of the provided "modem" which will only act as a bridge after you clone its mac address on the router.
what's a homologated IP address?

Last edited:
Just wanted to give thanks to everyone that chipped in with their help and comments. After the 5th visit from the ISP technicians, they finally tried using another modem...

Because IT CANT BE THE MODEM. THE MODEM IS BRAND NEW AND ITS PERFECT. ITS GOTTA BE ALL 4 OF THE CLIENT'S COMPUTER SYSTEMS. THEY'VE ALL GOT BAD NICS AND VIRUSES. ITS NOT THE MODEM'S FAULT. NO SIR.

but it was. anyways. ty all.

Back