Changed from DI774 to DI624 router, and internet has slowed down dramatically. Ideas?

soxfandoug

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I have cable internet (Roadrunner). I have been using a D-Link DI-774 (Dual band, Tri mode A/B/G, up to 54mps) for several years now. I have 3 PC's connected thru it, 2 wired and 1 wireless.

Well, that router died this past weekend. I had a brand new D-Link DI-624 (B/G 108mps) router that I had picked up a while ago just laying around, so I installed that.

My internet performance has been awful ever since. Almost dial up speeds. This applies to both wired and wireless computers. When I did the web setup on the router, I pretty much just used the default settings. I didn't even turn on encryption, though I planned to do so after I made sure everything was working properly.

I am pretty handy with computers, but networking is my weakness. Anybody have any ideas what my problem could be? Thanks a ton in advance!

Doug

I would start with updating the firmware and resetting the router back to factory defaults (again). Also, power cycle the cable modem.

Just to rule out the obvious have you connected the cable modem to a computer without the router. To make sure its actually the router and not just a fluke in your service?

Back