Change XP system drive letter?

chanchan

Limp Gawd
My HD is divided into two partitions, when I did a re-installation of XP I deleted the primary and re-created it into two parts.

However, when I did this XP made my old partition which was the secondary the main and called it C:\ so when I installed XP on the new partition XP called it D:\ and put Windows there.

Is there anyway to change the Windows installation directory to C:\ easily?

If not, when I do a re-installation again how can I "force" it to install in C:\ because the Windows partition program thing seems to automatically stick any active partition as the first drive letter.

When i split a hard drive using the windows setup partition utility, i always restart the setup after creating them. so setup reassigns the correct order.

I dont know of a possible solution to your problem other than delete/recreate partitions and restart setup so you can see correctly the C and D partitions

I've had that happen to me. I think that happens if the drive you are installing windows to is unpartitioned and or unformatted, and the second drive is formated. Windows sees the formated drive during the install and gives it the first available drive letter "C". Then as the install continues windows formats the first drive and labels it "D". As far as I know you can't change the drive letter of the drive windows is installed too. Not easily and likely not without breaking windows so it won't work. I did a re-install and did a quick format on the first drive. Drive letters were normal again after that.

Many programs HAVE to install to a C, well this would suck if you want your programs on your system drive and the system drive is say D or F or something... Get it?

TrueImage causes this same problem and doesn't keep the same drive letters during restore.

So when you go change them (C was correct, so I may not have the same problem), you get disk errors thrown at you all the time.
It was related to the swap and data partition (They were swapped). I am planning to try to restore just the system and data drives... and setting up the Swap after it is restored. Hope it works (I don't see any reason why it wouldn't)...

What you could try- since it seems you don't have anything that matters on there- is going into Computer Management and reassigning them there. Could cause huge issues that screw your computer up- but it'd be interesting to see if it works ;)
I know after fixing the TrueImage, after re-assigning the correct drive letters all my shares showed back up- so it's as if it works perfectly- I just get errors.

Hope that helps you a little bit..

Windows "Disk Management" won't let you change the drive letter for the partition windows is installed too. :(

Back