change windows xp register name

Desolate

Limp Gawd
I bought a used computer and I just want to change the regieter name for windows, i went to, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows NT>CurrentVersion and i changed it to my name but the folder in C: documents and settings is still the old owners name. How else can i change it so that everything uses my name now with out reinstalling xp.

Go to the control panel and create a new user (your name), then transfer everything from the current folder under documents and settings to the new folder with your name, then log off and log in as your new user. Then go in and delete the old user.

i have to many things on this user to just transfer and start all over and thats just to much time to transfer everything onto a new user, not worth my time. I thought there would be an easier way to just go into the regestry and change the name.

You can go into the management console and change the username....but I think you have to be logged in as the admin to do so.

Why would you buy a used computer and not clean it up at the very least...or do a fresh install? Who knows what was left on the computer.

Back