Change Windows XP Pro to Home version

Spiritual Machine

Weaksauce
Someone I know wants to change their pro install into a legit home version install. Anyone know of an easier way to do this than reformatting? Would it be possible to just change the product key, or something similar? Any suggestions appreciated!

Its wise to let him know if he wants to use a dual processor some time that Windows Home only supports one CPU.

Thanks for the info ballr4lyf.

If he got the professional version, would it be as simple as changing the product key?

It might work, couldn't hurt to try but I wouldn't count on it. The version you have on it now would have to the same as what you buy. If it's a volume license corporate version it may not accept a pro retail key. Corporate or PRO it's still going to reject a home product key.

Chernobyl1 said:
Its wise to let him know if he wants to use a dual processor some time that Windows Home only supports one CPU.
Home supports 1 socket with as many cores as the CPU has. X2, Pentium D, Core Duo and Core 2 Duo work on Home with 2 physical cores or 4 logical cores with HT.

Pro supports 2 sockets, which is up to 4 cores right now or 8 logical with HT.

When Kentsfield and K8L are out, double the number of physical cores above.

Hmm if thats true, thanks for the update.

Just checked and you are correct, my bad!

I do not believe it will work by just changing the product-key. You have to re-install. I have heard that a "recovery" installation will work, but I have not tried it. Back up all important data, try the recovery option and cross fingers. Worst case scenario, you have to format/reinstall.

It's not the "recovery" console you want. You want to do a Repair installation and enter the product key during that.

killa62 said:
why does he want to use home as opposed to pro?

I'm guessing the pro version is not legit. Anyway yea I don't know a good way to downgrade and make it work right. You can try a repair but I would think format and reload.

I would think that the Home OEM version is cheaper than XP Pro Retail. So if money is tight you would be tempted to go with Home instead of Pro.

I recently went from Pro to Home and I tried ti repair install option, I had so many headaches from that that I ended up just formatting and reinstalling. It' always better to just clean install to start with.

I concur.
If something isnt quite right you dont know if its a hangover from the old install that wont be easy (if at all possible) to find.

There may be no harm in trying, it may work ok.
I wouldnt do it myself.

Dennis Gordon said:
It's not the "recovery" console you want. You want to do a Repair installation and enter the product key during that.

Dennis, Absolutely correct. It was late, I was at work, I plead the fifth! :D
(I knew something didnt jive with my post)

Back