Change Windows Drive

Braddlac

Limp Gawd
for some reason or another my cousins computer has windows on the f: drive. she bought an ipod and it wont work because of this. besides reformatting how can i change the boot drive back to c:?

well, if it isnt possible, answer me this. can i do a do a system restore with out being able to boot into windows? and how

You can do a repair install from booting off the CD. However that will leave the drive letter what it is. Reason is it would break every application on your system if it did.

If it's just itunes that is broken, (And this is the first I've heard of iTunes demanding to be on C, you sure it isn't something else?)
you could also mount your system drive as C:.
subst C: F:\
as long as there is no actual drive known as C in the system.

You can in theory change the drive letter of the boot drive, by grovelling through every registry key, every ini file, every path and find F:\ and replace it to C:\ but you might corrupt other programs data since they might just have the binard equiv to F:\ and it isn't a drive path.

This one has the potential to go down hill in a hurry.

First, Windows grabbed the F drive because whoever installed Windows didn't both to pay attention during the partitioning screen. You cannot change the system drive without reformatting and re-installing. Asked a million times here, if you want more answers, search for it, you'll find a ton.

Second, the iPod may not be working, but it's certainly not do to this reason. I've helped many people set up the Ipod on their PCs here at HP, and it's very simple to install. As I said, it may not be working, but it's totally unrelated to the drive letter issue.

djnes said:
This one has the potential to go down hill in a hurry.

First, Windows grabbed the F drive because whoever installed Windows didn't both to pay attention during the partitioning screen. You cannot change the system drive without reformatting and re-installing. Asked a million times here, if you want more answers, search for it, you'll find a ton.

Second, the iPod may not be working, but it's certainly not do to this reason. I've helped many people set up the Ipod on their PCs here at HP, and it's very simple to install. As I said, it may not be working, but it's totally unrelated to the drive letter issue.

i was on the phone with apple for a good hour or so and windows detects the ipod, it shows up in explorer. no apple software recognizes the ipod. ipods are still made for the mac and dont work in every situation.

and as for windows being on the F its because seom dumb shit dell guy reformatted her computer for her. now its my problem :rolleyes: . looks like i'm going to need to reformat.

the problem is that i attemped to change the drive letter in the registry by following a knowledge base article ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q223188 ) . now when i boot up the computer it just hangs at the welcome screen. when i try safe mode with command prompt it goes into regular safe mode. i need to back up the files on this computer before i go and reformat. so how can i get it working again? i assume a system restore would be best, can i do that in the recoovery console? that seems like the best approach to me

Braddlac said:
i was on the phone with apple for a good hour or so and windows detects the ipod, it shows up in explorer. no apple software recognizes the ipod. ipods are still made for the mac and dont work in every situation.

It sounds like your friend bought one of the early MAC only iPods. The windows ones from Apple or HP work flawlessly.

take the drive out and place it as a slave on your home PC. Then copy any files off needed. Put in back in and format.

That's the best way I know to get to stuff on a hosed system. (Assuming the hosing isn't a bad disk)

throw in another hard drive (blank or with plenty of space), use Symantec's Ghost to temporarily transfer the drive/partition to the 2nd hard drive. Reformat the first hard drive and use Ghost to transfer image for that hd/partition back to the fist hard drive.
it could end up being a lot of work so you might be better off reformating and reinstalling windows.

Back