Change Log/Change Note for servers and network devices

killerasp

Gawd
I was wondering if anyone knew of a program either web-based or stand alone application that can help me keep track of changes that were made to a system or network device.

For example, if someone added more ram to a system, i would like that person to log into the system and make a change note: "Added extra 1 gig of ram to serverA and server B". Or if updated a config on a router, i can log into this application and update a new version of the config to it and store different versions of the file.

there is a program called RANCID that will monitor network devices (Cisco routers, switches, etc) and will notify you if the config/hardware changes; it also keeps a copy of configuration.

killerasp said:

NM = nevermind
I posted something, then when I reread what you asked for I realized my answer wasn't what you needed.

That's all, sorry.

any wiki software out there would be ok for this. Attach a copy of the config an leave a note.

notepad, good naming scheme and a organized folder structure would do the trick too :D

if you want something more organized, Track-It! from Intuit (just got bought out by someone else) is a good asset management, helpdesk management system, I use it for those aspects of IT work + to track other stuff like config changes as well although to be honest I find more use with notepad to write up notes, name the file per date and describe well what's in it and if you put it all in a folder like "Windows 2000 to 2003 migration" or something and save all configs in there you'll always know where stuff is.

Back