change key to legitimate

Eva_Unit_0

[H]ard|Gawd
okay, I've got a friend (and yes it actually is a friend...I'm not just saying that to cover for myself. I run linux anyway :p ) who is running a vlk version of windows xp pro using a pirated cd key. Through her school she got a legitimate version of windows xp pro via MSDNAA and she wants to "legalize" her installation of windows.

However, I'm concerned that simply changing the key will not be enough...I suspect that it will not accept her legal cd key since the versions are different (vlk vs oem or retail?) How can I go about switching her key from the pirated one to the new legitimate one? Do I have to reformat her box? I'd really like to avoid having to do that.

Thanks for any help you MS gurus can provide.

Just update the key. The worst you'd have to do is call to activate it.

You can install the "new" legit version on top of the old one and use the "new" legit key, or, as most diehards would tell you, just back up the data on the drive as necessary and wipe it clean for the "new" legit version.

You can't change the key with the versions you have. VLK will not replace an OEM, or vice versa, nor Retail vs. OEM or any other combination. The key type will not change, so if the install was done with a VLK because it's a VLK copy, you're stuck with requiring a VLK if you want to change the key.

So, back up what she needs, whip out the "new" legit version she got from her school, and start her fresh.

You gotta be careful 'round these parts when talking about pirated software, even if the person is trying to go legit.

Yep, if she has a new legit version, backup, format and a nice new clean install.

Always start with a clean install, never install new over old, in my opinion.

okay that's what I figured...repair install it is, then. No way she's gonna want to do a full reformat. I agree that full formats are usually the best option but it's her call. The repair installs seem to do a good job.

anyway, yeah I know that piracy isn't a good topic here but this is a thread about trying to stop piracy and get people using legimate software.

Thanks for your help.

bbz_Ghost said:
If you do have a legitimate need to change a Windows product key (same type for same type, of course), there is no easier solution than...

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

No, I'm serious. :D

lol yeah I knew about magical jellybean...that's a damn cool program, and if I didn't have the issue of the versions being different then I would have so gone that route.

Definitely a highly useful tool and a definite addition to any geeks toolchest...

Had to do a workaround at work on a rig that was using a "non legit" VLK version of XP. I took the new legit OEM version, booted from it, ran a "repair install" and got back to the desktop....then loaded the new legit version from within windows and used the "upgrade" option. Then all I had to do was reapply all the security patches since SP2....still faster than the old format method and reinstall everything method, it is a work rig and has TONS of software, catalogs, shortcuts, data, etc.

Of course, I tried to do the "upgrade" from within windows right off the bat, it would not accept it since the installed OS was a VLK and the legit version was an OEM disc (Dell).

Back