Change in BA requirements

fuck

I guess that's what we get for bitching

"well if you kids can't play nice we are taking the toys away" /PG

fuck

no, everything is PG's fault, don't you put that evil on me!

fuck

I think they may be a little bit confused about who's who in this relationship :)

tear, does the PG announcement affect intentions to develop IL/AD support for OCNG? FWIW, I am still eager. Cheers!

@tear: glad to hear you are continuing the great work on the OCNG overclocking bios for AMD G34 opterons!

I im curious to see what will come instead of the big-adv units...especially how good 2p and 4p machines will be PPD-wise at SMP with maybe a new bonus scheme.. Can only ponder.

I am myself interested in building my first 4p machine(s) would like to build both a G34 4p and a xeon e5-4600 4p system.

I'm not sure its really "worth it", it seems easier, and perhaps more "safe" to buy some GTX 780 TIs ...but the point is i just think its MUCH MORE FUN building a 4p machine. I we do it for the fun, right? :)

ps. My first post here :)
pps. Is is generally better (presently) to fold using 6100 series Opterons than 6200 or 6300 series? I have seen people mention that, and i would like to know as im in for purchasing G34 chips soon :)

@tear: glad to hear you are continuing the great work on the OCNG overclocking bios for AMD G34 opterons!

I im curious to see what will come instead of the big-adv units...especially how good 2p and 4p machines will be PPD-wise at SMP with maybe a new bonus scheme.. Can only ponder.

I am myself interested in building my first 4p machine(s) would like to build both a G34 4p and a xeon e5-4600 4p system.

I'm not sure its really "worth it", it seems easier, and perhaps more "safe" to buy some GTX 780 TIs ...but the point is i just think its MUCH MORE FUN building a 4p machine. I we do it for the fun, right? :)

pps. Is is generally better (presently) to fold using 6100 series Opterons than 6200 or 6300 series? I have seen people mention that, and i would like to know as im in for purchasing G34 chips soon :)

Nice to have you!

How about you start a new thread and introduce yourself? That would be the cool kid kind of way to get a great welcome from the gang.

Nice to have you!

How about you start a new thread and introduce yourself? That would be the cool kid kind of way to get a great welcome from the gang.

woah woah woah, this ain't the place that will remain unmentioned

Hi, thanx for the kind welcome! :)
Not much to introduce though, i like computers (CPUs especially), AI, pokerbots, im a psychologist/psychoanalyst by profession, and pokerplayer (and avid D&D GM). And i like building stuff and tinkering with it, and may get to love FAH/DC :D, still new to it though.
Intro done.

Welcome aboard xeonite, just a heads up you gotta watch out for this guy ^^^^^ he is a never tiering recruiter. :p

Even if it is too late, you could run DIMES alongside FAH or BOINC. No excuses! :cool:

Actually if I could remember to start it every time I reboot it would be running just not as many instances as I was running

What OS? Windows task scheduler can be used to restart the program every day. Otherwise, DIMES can be installed as a service or have it start with Windows (it puts a shortcut in the start menu).

Linux on the other hand, I don't have a clue. I used to get BOINC to auto start in Ubuntu 10, but not since.

if windows 7, dimes won't auto start unless you have UAC turned off

Not that it matters since it runs in a multitude of vm's and is way too much of a pain in the ass to get them all started and running. . :rolleyes:

Well, if you plan on running them long term, you could set up Windows Task Scheduler to restart the VM's each day. However, it may be a pain to get that many VM's set up to do it....lol You could also run a smaller more manageable amount of VM's too. ;)

I allowed myself to answer you there: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040558741#post1040558741

And, naturally, welcome!

This is from the VJP blog it was posted today.
Reasons for the drop in cores from FF and some changes coming to folding.

CPU counts, FLOPs, and corporate partnerships
January 20, 2014 by Vijay Pande ·

One question that has come up recently is that the count of the number of CPUs involved in FAH has gone down quite a bit in the last 3 to 6 months. There are several factors going on here.

We frequently negotiate periods of time to run on the machines in corporations, as this can bring a lot of power to FAH. In most cases, the donations we get from large corporations are for pre-set lengths of time. These companies have some campaign or some period of availability. We’re constantly negotiating with companies for such partnerships and so the fluctuations in the number of computers may be quite great, especially as the number of single-core clients changes rapidly.

Also, in recent partnerships, GPUs and large-core CPUs were emphasized over lots of single core CPUs and so the count of the number of machines will likely go down quite a bit but the FLOPs will remain quite high (today we’re still about 15 Petaflops, which makes FAH a very, very powerful supercomputer, especially when you consider that other traditional supercomputers would underperform their reported FLOP count if they used FAH’s approach at calculating FLOPs). In the end, a high FLOP count has a big impact on our work.

With that said, it is very important for me to emphasize that we value all contributions. Indeed, we have in the past (and will continue to show in the future) shown the power of how many computers, even single core PCs, can band together to do amazing things. Towards those ends, we have in particular been working on a new server backend software which can more efficiently utilize the results from many single-core CPU machines.

As I see it, the future of FAH will have to be heterogeneous and may even in the future incorporate mobile devices. In the coming weeks, we hope to roll out our plans there more publicly, with some new initiatives on the CPU side which I think could greatly increase the power of FAH.

VJ summery all contributions are important... unless you have a really powerful computer...then screw you... lol

VJ summery all contributions are important... unless you have a really powerful computer...then screw you... lol

No shit.

I guess on the upside, we as a team can move to the visualization sub-forum and all play virtual machine together?:D

Does anyone actually give a rats fat ass about the PG group or FAH?

Unfortunately yes I do, I do believe that F@H has the best research as far as the potential to uncover useable results for my grandchildren and future generations of the human race. I do not however believe they have had the best management practices as far as public relations and responsibility to the donor community.

Hopefully we will see better communication from Stanford and better treatment of donors at the FF in the future. The way I see it Stanford is at a cross roads right now and they will either turn right or left. Hopefully they make the right choice, I have been in contact with Vj and I know he cares about the donors, while I do not agree with them dropping bigadv from public folding and I told him so, I do support his decision though, after all it is his project and who am I to second guess his decisions as far as what he feels is better for the science.

I will wait and see if PG does as we asked as far as a road map, PR and points problems goes if they do I will continue to donate to F@H if they do not then I will donate to something else, I am pretty sure Vj will make the changes needed to ensure the future of the F@H program, whether I like them or not remains to be seen, but I cannot see myself leaving at this point in time, he has basically done or is working on everything we asked for, so how can I get pissy about that.

Nicely said Grandpa_01. Your statements summarize my feelings about FAH as well. +1 internets to you ;)

It's not the first time FAH is facing issues and Pande hasn't convinced me this time will be any different...

I'll check back at a later time but I'm not betting on miracles.

From what I read VJ's blog, I think PG is rather "licking" large corperations' big a** for their temporary supports than "kissing" dedicated, long term donors' butts.. :D .. PG acts like donors owed them big time (shouldn't it be another way around?)

If they really have a backlog of smp, they can simply ask donors to help. I believe we - donors - would help with no issue. They don't need to raise core count, then decided to end BA. That's childish acts "You made me mad, I ain't play with you no more." :D

Anyway, it is their project. They do what they want.

Question for guru out there... :D .. PG ends BA because:

- it is a piece of garbage?
- it is just a bait to get "addicted" folders to upgrade their rigs, then use those rigs for SMP later on?

what do you think?

I think they ended it because of the amount of drama it caused vs. the amount of their research it actually made up. It seems like 90% of the major griping over the past few years has related to BA when at any given time only a few hundred contributors were actually running it, and in total it's comprised, what, ten projects of the hundreds they've started during that time?

It reminds me of cutting/trading a star player because he's just too much of a headache to be worth his talent.

Last edited:
Back