Change DHCP Address

dpgamer

n00b
I'm trying to change the address my new Vista laptop receives via dhcp. I've set the information for the static dhcp in my dhcpd.conf file on my smoothwall, and stopped and restarted dhcpd, and I've tried releasing and renewing on my laptop, but Vista keeps taking the same address. I've noticed that when I ipconfig /all with vista it has "(Preferred)", next to the address. Is there anyway to change this?

dhcpd keeps a lease file, if a computer requests an IP and matches the MAC address in that file, it will just use that. I don't know where it's stored on smoothwall but search around and you should be able to find it, probably in /var some where.

dhcpd keeps a lease file, if a computer requests an IP and matches the MAC address in that file, it will just use that. I don't know where it's stored on smoothwall but search around and you should be able to find it, probably in /var some where.

So does the lease file have higher priority over the dhcpd.conf file? I'll try to find the dhcp lease file.

Why not just set a static IP?

Because I don't want to have to set/clear the static ip settings every time I leave my network.

No, the lease file is just where dhcpd stores that info, but it will probably use that first if it already exists.

Can you change the DHCP range on the smoothwall (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.2) and then release/renew the DHCP on the Vista machine, then change it back to the original range and release/renew ?

Or just change the range of IP's its giving out from x.x.1.50 - x.x.1.75 to x.x.1.80 - x.x.1.100

can you not stop the addrss you keep getting from being distrabuted, release / renew?

Just set your connection to use DHCP, and setup an alternate configuration to use a static IP address (So you end up with two different configurations).

Can you change the DHCP range on the smoothwall (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.2) and then release/renew the DHCP on the Vista machine, then change it back to the original range and release/renew ?

Or just change the range of IP's its giving out from x.x.1.50 - x.x.1.75 to x.x.1.80 - x.x.1.100

Thanks, I tried that and it worked.

Back