Chairs Discussion

I almost never see good office chairs in DEALS, or talked about, and I'm really in the market for buying one so take a seat [H] and let's hear some stories.

I've tried this chair before and it is really really nice, but for the cost of a small car.

But then again, I probably use the chair more than any other computer peripheral so.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
When I bought all new office furniture earlier this year, I ended up with two Realspace Pro Quantum Mesh chairs:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/Realspace-PRO-Quantum-Mesh-Mid-Back/

Look for coupons too, since they go out every once in a while. I ended up getting mine for around 200 each. I have a similarly priced HON at work, and the ones I have at home are far more comfortable. I was extremely disappointed at first, because it was actually a bit uncomfortable for the first couple of hours. But after it was broken in and the mesh loosened up a little bit, I wouldn't ever think of returning it. There was a recall on them several years back because the bolts that connect the back to the base sucked, and people had fallen. They updated it with new bolts. I've checked mine a couple of times and they're still tight.

Chair selection is very subjective, so its not really possible to name a "best chair" and chair suggestions are only minimally helpful. I would sit in as many chairs as possible and see which one is most comfortable to you.

For example, many people seem to love mesh chairs, as proven by what people have posted. I, personally, despise them. The best chair I ever used was a Steelcase Leap at my old job.

I recently got an Ikea Volmar for home and I'd say its as comfortable as its price. Its certainly better than a $39 Office Max special, but not in the same league as the Leap chair. Some day I will own a high end chair.

I don't mind the mesh back, but i like padding for seat. I guess it depends on your seating style - I tend to sit mostly upright, so a good supportive back is better than a soft loungy one for me.

Another good thing about mesh is that it ventilates well. Chair smells less over time.

Price wise, I hear what people are saying that you get what you pay for, but wallet pain can overcome butt pain pretty quickly. I'd say around the $200 mark.

I had a plush microfiber chair before I got this mesh one. I loved it until my cat tore it apart. Still have another one at an unused desk too. The problem with any cloth or leather (especially leather) chairs I've owned is that they aren't as breathable, and I end up with a bad case of sweaty ass and back in the summer.

Just finished shopping for chairs, it's so bad trying to find a chair to meet my specifications in my price range.
-good ergonomics
-mid-back preferred but not necessary
-Arms need to be padded or removable, good arms are a plus, no arms better than hard plastic
-mesh preferred, leather acceptable (including faux leather), nylon/rough textiles I don't like, the give my butt rug-burn if I shift around too much.
-of course pivot, tilt, and wheels all necessary!

My price ceiling is 125, and that's an absolute, like I find a great chair that sits at 125 after shipping I'm okay with that.

It seems your bang-for-buck on mesh chairs is AWFUL and I can't understand why. You can get a much more 'luxurious' leather chair for the same price as a base-line mesh one, it makes no sense.

So I'm looking at these in leather
http://www.buy.com/prod/high-back-r...k-chair-o5/228116408.html?listingId=199419544
http://www.buy.com/prod/high-back-e...r-chair-o7/228116410.html?listingId=199419657
http://www.buy.com/prod/comfort-sof...olor-black/218123039.html?listingId=120869250 <- this was high on my list because of mid-back and being quit compact, I'm a thin dude and I want a chair that wraps and supports me in good posture.
http://www.buy.com/prod/awake-heigh...color-pink/218123104.html?listingId=249528907 < - highly considered this as a bargain bin chair, looks nicely formed, no arms to get in the way etc but still cheap so I question construction quality
http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Furniture-CH-CX0217M-GG-Mid-Back-Executive/dp/B004HGO86A <- this ended up being my #2 runner up

But finally I found a good deal on a mesh chair that seemed just what I'm looking for and ordered this:
http://www.ibuyofficesupply.com/mid...scoop-chair-mesh-back-armcaps-black_OIFBC4218

In case you never check out the Display forum, there was briefly a discussion on the Herman Miller Embody chair, and possible alternatives - link to post. Keep in mind that the Herman Miller Embody is rather pricey... $1k range.

thehumansolution.com has $50 off 600+ at the moment. I just bought an Ergohuman for $587 shipped yesterday. Really looking forward to not using Staples sub $100 chairs.

just bought embodychair from smartfurniture with 15% off few weeks back
best $1000 i spent in 2012

Last edited:
You can sit twice as long waiting at your slow computer. :) I like knee chairs good for posture maybe ;)

just bought ambodychair from smartfurniture with 15% off few weeks back
best $1000 i spent in 2012

I also bought the Embody Chair from Smart Furniture. The chair weight is 62lbs, but was billed (for free) at 120lbs, and two people had to bring into my house.

StealCase Leap.

I got one, loved it, and got a 2nd one for my office.

The # of adjustments in the arm wrests are simply amazing! The rest of the chair is great too obviously :)

$700-900+ depending on what options you go with.

You can also check eBay for used.

The wife will be wanting a good chair for which the arms can be easily and frequently removed and reattached. What I mean is that she uses her chair for two things: computer use and sewing. For computer use, she needs the arms on, and for sewing she needs the arms off. Any thoughts on this? (There is not enough room for two dedicated chairs in the work space.)

I use an Aeron at work and have a leather Steelcase Leap at home. I prefer the Leap as it is essentially transparent from a comfort perspective, but you can't go wrong with either.

There's no doubt that these ultra high end chairs are great, but the $800+ price tag doesn't really sit well with me.:p

Even if it lasts 10 years, there's a point after which the price no longer seems reasonable. Kinda like buying a $8000 designer couch, or a $300 armani shirt.

There's no doubt that these ultra high end chairs are great, but the $800+ price tag doesn't really sit well with me.:p

Even if it lasts 10 years, there's a point after which the price no longer seems reasonable. Kinda like buying a $8000 designer couch, or a $300 armani shirt.

Huge difference - if you go buy a $20 shirt instead of a $300 shirt it isn't more likely to cause you long term permanent back problems.

The sub $100 staples chairs are the worst. No forward tilt, back alignment isn't neutral at all and arm rests are usually too close or too high.

thehumansolution.com has $50 off 600+ at the moment. I just bought an Ergohuman for $587 shipped yesterday. Really looking forward to not using Staples sub $100 chairs.

These are great chairs. I'm contemplating buying another one for my office.

Back