• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Chaintech AV710 - Where is the EQ?

JHefile

Necrophilia Makes Me [H]ard
Joined
Jun 22, 2003
Messages
1,180
I had a NF7-S but it died along with the cool Soundstorm Audio it had. SO I bought this card. Don't get me wrong it sounds good right out of the box with the drivers that came with it. But I was thinking how can I get an eq involved here? Because there is no control center for the audio. Only the regular windows tabs.

How can I get an EQ into play here? Whether it be software or hardware. Thanks in advance.
 
I tried the one in windows media. It doesn't work on games though :(
 
ScYcs, do you know if the Audigy line has built in EQs'?
 
Mister X, ScYcs,


thx, be safe on the new year.
 
The Envy drivers are so boring, almost nothing to tweak. And they have yet to fix the problem where changing the master volume changes the L/R balance.
 
My computer wouldn't boot windows this morning. Said it was missing a file. It had to be these drivers for this card. I'm running SP2. I had to reformat and I'm using the AC97 for now. At least it has an EQ :rolleyes:
 
Nice read. I just wished I read your review before buying this card.
 
ScYcS said:
I just made an extensive post about this card and it's drivers.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=849310

Your thread is not going anywhere. :)
I stuck it cause I agree with most of what you said and it is a good USER evaulation of the card.
It also demonstrates that classic line very well.... You get what you pay for.

Are you ready to buy a Audigy2 ZS now? :D
 
I just saw the sticky thing...

As far as Audigy goes. Nope. I can't justify spending this much money on sounds because I simply am not receptible for the finer sounds. I can hear differences between really bad cards and better cards, but the differences between an already good sounding card as the AV710 and the Audigy would be non existent for me. The only thing that would push me over the edge is the gaming performance.....but i've got no money now, so I'll use the AV710 and I'm sure I'll be happy with it over time.
 
ScYcS said:
I just saw the sticky thing...

As far as Audigy goes. Nope. I can't justify spending this much money on sounds because I simply am not receptible for the finer sounds. I can hear differences between really bad cards and better cards, but the differences between an already good sounding card as the AV710 and the Audigy would be non existent for me. The only thing that would push me over the edge is the gaming performance.....but i've got no money now, so I'll use the AV710 and I'm sure I'll be happy with it over time.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-177&depa=1
Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
Price: $27.00
In Stock: Yes
FedEx Saver Shipping $6.00

If you get one, let us know how it works? I see several threads where posters are pushing the AV710 or even its AOpen Brother. Keep in mind that the Envy24s are good but there are different levels of performance and not just one Envy-24 Chip and all are not equal.

I'd personally not buy anything less than at Least a TB Santa Cruz for music or one of these for Games-->http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-179&depa=1

Donnie
 
You're suggesting a SB Live! ??? uuummm.....by all means, the SB Live! was the worst card i've had in my system by far. Starting with the drivers back then and going to incompatibilities with certain hardware, the Live! had it all.

Nah, the Santa Cruz is a much better bang for the buck there. BTW, the envy chips are only very slightly different. They all use the same crappy driver set though.
 
News flash: Not all Envy based cards use the crappy VIA reference drivers. :D
 
ScYcS said:
You're suggesting a SB Live! ??? uuummm.....by all means, the SB Live! was the worst card i've had in my system by far. Starting with the drivers back then and going to incompatibilities with certain hardware, the Live! had it all.

Nah, the Santa Cruz is a much better bang for the buck there. BTW, the envy chips are only very slightly different. They all use the same crappy driver set though.

If you say so! Sure those slight differences don't matter, find the cheapest Envy24 and buy it.

Donnie
 
Well, they all do in this price class. Of course the $100 cards do not......but you couldn't sell them for $100 with those drivers either.
 
ScYcS said:
Well, they all do in this price class. Of course the $100 cards do not......but you couldn't sell them for $100 with those drivers either.

I said, the Santa Cruz is the least that I'd buy. "I'd personally not buy anything less than at Least a TB Santa Cruz for music".

I'm simply not going to post to you about how much is wrong with the Lowest end Envy24-PT. Anyone thinking this chip is anywhere near as good as the Envy24 HT/S might be mistaken. Then if you guys are right, the ones paying the money for Terratec, Philips and M-Audio are suckers, right?

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q3/philips-ultimateedge/index.x?pg=1

So there are at least the Envy24 GT, HT, HT-S, PT, and PT integrated. You say they're only slightly different?

Donnie
 
Again, i think we're talking two different things here. The thread is about the budget version of the chipset, namely the PT or the HT-S since they're in the same price category. There simply aren't many differences between those imho.

Of course the M-Audio is a different class, but that's not what this thread is about imho. As far as i understand, this is about the low end Envy chipsets. Cards using these chips use the via standard driver...
 
By the way, has anybody ever tried modifying a 3rd party driver from like the Philips to work with the Chaintech? I'm sure it's possible somehow....
 
I broke down and got a Audigy ZS today.


Needless to say, it's quite the eye opener. :eek:
 
What happened to the whole "I can't justify spending this much money on sounds" thing? :p

Do you think it was worth the cash?
If you have the time post the impressions of it in the sticky.... it will make for a good comparison. :)
 
All I know is I had to reformat because of this card's drivers: XP, SP2.
 
Mister X said:
What happened to the whole "I can't justify spending this much money on sounds" thing? :p

Do you think it was worth the cash?
If you have the time post the impressions of it in the sticky.... it will make for a good comparison. :)


Done.


I actually had the feeling that for the first time, my Sennheiser Headset sounded astounding and gave me the feeling that the investment in both, the Audigy and the Sennheisers were the right choice...
 
Back
Top