• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Chaintech AV-710? Sleeper hit?

Bona Fide

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
2,382
Well right now I'm running off the SB Live! that came integrated into my board. But I'm thinking about getting this card. It's only $23 at the Egg, which isn't bad at all, compared to $60+ for Audigy2 cards. And reviews [from the Egg] say it performs equal to, if not better than, those Audigy's.

Any opinions?
 
For stereo only applications, it's decent. The 2-channel DAC is at least Audigy 2-quality, and it can do digital output to pass through whatever.

Which is all well and good.

The 6-channel DAC (used with a 5.1 system) really sucks, though.

And remember that it's using an Envy24 chip, which has all kind of problems with 3d surround audio in games (still not working at all in Battlefield 2, for example).

Again, for stereo, it's fine. For surround....no.
 
I had no problem using my Chaintech AV-710 for two channel. The DAC for the other channels though is crap. The rear channel DAC though is superior to those on an Audigy2. As far as 3D sound goes, I never really tried it. For $23 though it's great.
 
It's a decent card, sounds about the same as an Audigy2, but it's nowhere near the sound quality of an EMU IMO. It is a good buy @ <$30 though :)

IMO
 
I found it sounded way better than the audigy 2. A2 sounds like crap...bloated, muddy and murky sound compared to the AV710. The bad thing about the av710 is it really blows with low impedance headphones...you really need to use an amp with it.
 
Addendum to sig:

itz richi3zz: LOL
X86 Inside : And then she complained about it popping so I replaced it with a live 24 bit card.
;)
 
Mister X said:
Addendum to sig:

itz richi3zz: LOL
X86 Inside : And then she complained about it popping so I replaced it with a live 24 bit card.
;)

Hehehe!

Donnie27
 
Back
Top