• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Chaintech AV-710 horrifically staticy on two computers

mpeg4v3

Gawd
Joined
Sep 14, 2001
Messages
644
I recently popped my AV-710 into my new Shuttle SN95G5 a while back to get rid of the onboard sound with the latest drivers (451c). Since I was using headphones, I turned on high sample rate and verified that it worked. However, EVERY single sound, if the volume is up even somewhat high, gives horrific staticy sounds. It's absolutely horrible for music, and I just can't stand it.

Since the card used to work on my older Abit AI7 beautifully, I have no idea what's going on. I tried switching to 2 Channel instead, but, to my surprise, sound would still only come out of the "7+8" jack, even in 2 channel mode.

I tried downgrading the drives to 432a, which I remember working fine on my old computer, but it still didn't work. I gave up and reinstalled my old Santa Cruz, believing it to be a chipset conflict or some such with my nForce3 board.

However, today I gave the ole AV-710 to a friend, and he installed it in his computer, which has an Abit IT7 (i845-based chipset), and he got the exact same problem as me. Staticy, untolerable sound. We messed around with it some, but we just couldn't get it to work.

Does anyone have any idea why this supposedly great card is acting all funky? I'm tempted to say it's the drivers, but I remember it working fine with these drivers a while ago. I'd hate to make my friend go back to his crappy, metalic sounding onboard, but he may have no choice.
 
The problem could be that you are using a line-out as a headphone port. The line-out signal is usually very strong and isn't really designed to just drive headphones, it's designed to go to speakers which amplify the sound or any other audio amp and then to your headphones.

Anyhow, that is my take on the topic, but Mister X would know more and be able to correct my errors.
 
Deadlierchair said:
The problem could be that you are using a line-out as a headphone port. The line-out signal is usually very strong and isn't really designed to just drive headphones, it's designed to go to speakers which amplify the sound or any other audio amp and then to your headphones.

Anyhow, that is my take on the topic, but Mister X would know more and be able to correct my errors.

Hrm. I could have sworn I used the sound card with my HD497's back when I originally got the card, but I could be mistaking it for plugging it into the headphone jack on the speaker control pod itself.

That still makes me wonder though, why will it only output audio to headphones through the 7+8 channel jack, whether it's in high sample rate mode or not? I guess I'll have my friend go dig through his pile 'o parts for some speakers he can try it out with.
 
mpeg4v3 said:
Hrm. I could have sworn I used the sound card with my HD497's back when I originally got the card, but I could be mistaking it for plugging it into the headphone jack on the speaker control pod itself.

That still makes me wonder though, why will it only output audio to headphones through the 7+8 channel jack, whether it's in high sample rate mode or not? I guess I'll have my friend go dig through his pile 'o parts for some speakers he can try it out with.

I'm really not sure I am only making a guess. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge in the area will hop in and give you some better answers about the situation.
 
Might be a dumb question but have you removed that obselete/interference-prone cable connecting the soundcard to the cdrom?
 
SJetski71 said:
Might be a dumb question but have you removed that obselete/interference-prone cable connecting the soundcard to the cdrom?

Aye, haven't had that thing hooked up in ages, and my friend didn't plug it in either.

I think I may reach the point soon where I may need to tell him it's either speakers or his onboard, unfortunately.
 
Back
Top