CES: Samsung debuts two LCD monitors

zim

n00b
Samsung has introduced two new computer displays, the 19-inch SyncMaster 915N and the 24-inch SyncMaster 242MP, both of which are shipping next month for US$579 and $4,999, respectively. The latter replaces the 241MP model. The company's Web site had not been updated with information about either monitor as MacCentral posted this article.

The SyncMaster 915N features MagicSpeed technology, which offers an 8ms (millisecond) response time, as well as a 700:1 contrast ratio and a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024. Integrated MagicTune software allows you to set and save personalized display profiles while the 915N's MagicBright technology enables you to alter its brightness by pushing a button.

The SyncMaster 242MP is an HDTV-ready multi-function display that features a built-in TV tuner and composite video, S-video and component video connectivity. MagicSpeed technology enables a 16ms response time while MagicColor II produces more lifelike colors and MagicTuner allows you to hook the monitor to a cable or satellite TV connection as well as tune in FM radio stations. Virtual Dolby 5-watt attachable speakers are included with the 242MP. Its contrast ratio is 1000:1 and it offers 1920 x 1200 native resolution

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01/06/samsung/index.php

5000 for the 24 inch thats crazy. they are coming out with a 40 inch for 5000 also, how can they charge that much?

-rob

The 915N sounds good, but I'm guessing it does not have DVI based on the price and the fact that Samsung N models don't usually have DVI.

Why do manufacturers take nice panels and cripple them with no DVI?

Brian Elfert

robmarti@tampa said:
5000 for the 24 inch thats crazy. they are coming out with a 40 inch for 5000 also, how can they charge that much?

-rob
These are probably only recommended prices and especially the 242MP will likely have a considerable profit margin accounted for in that price which can be cut off by internet resellers. I also believe they will release a 243T replacement model using the same panel but stripped off the tuner, speakers and multimedia connectors which accordingly will be cheaper than the 242MP. Still, even as a recommended price it's very very high...

Even considering discounts, I don't see the specs justifying much beyond $3000 msrp on the 24" model. Won't be buying one anyways, but that's much, much more than the 23" lcd's.

zim said:
Samsung has introduced two new computer displays, the 19-inch SyncMaster 915N and the 24-inch SyncMaster 242MP, both of which are shipping next month for US$579 and $4,999, respectively.
:eek: It's a good thing
zim said:
The latter replaces the 241MP model.
was the next sentence else shit woulda flown and people woulda died. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for an upgraded 243T but "little" != $x2

Is there anything extra that comes with the 23" display to warrant that additional price? Perhaps we should hold off on the speculation 'till we see on in action. Who knows, mabey it has something like a 2ms responce. haha.

The one that it is replacing was always much higher than the other 24" Samsungs because it had television capabilities built in. I'd imagine that the soon to be released 24" monitor-only models will be cheaper.

that 24" price seems exorbitantly high, especially given that Apple's much larger 30" doesn't even cost that much.

The 242MP will btw be the very first monitor to use a 16ms PVA panel. I woudn't expect it to be ghosting free on the level of 16ms TN or S-IPS panels but it should still be the most gamer friendly PVA monitor this far...

anyone know why they are releasing one with 8ms and one with 16ms? Too me... if the technology is there, why not use it?

Three to one Samsung is phasing the 241 out because Dell is buying the panels for the 2405FP.

Terpfen said:
Three to one Samsung is phasing the 241 out because Dell is buying the panels for the 2405FP.

Boy, am hoping you are wrong there. That 24 inch panel from Samsung I believe came out in late 2003.Not sure when the monitor itself came out though. I can't imagine Dell making a new monitor with technology that old. And especially since it is a 25 ms response time monitor. The market now has a bunch of 16 ms response time 23 inch monitors already competing. If Dell comes out with a 25 ms one, would be a real dumb move. Unless Samsung has updated the specs on that particular panel a bunch.

I am more inclined to think that Dell is buying the newer panel and Samsung is updating its product line also.

However if I have missed a spec sheet or post or whatever on that info, just correct me. Will happily eat crow knowing Dell will have a good panel.

Doesn't mean I will buy Dell though. Have to see it first. :)

Back