CES press release shows H.264 coming to nVIDIA!

HighTest

[H]ard|Gawd
Check out http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=51235

Note this quote from the press release:

HD DVD and Blu-ray movie acceleration
o Cyberlink, Intervideo, and Nero will be demonstrating playback of movies encoded in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC—the next–generation format that will be used on HD DVD and Blu-ray disks—using hardware acceleration provided by NVIDIA PureVideo technology.

I knew that it would be a short period of time after ATI's release to see this for the nVIDIA crowd.

One important note: H.264 acceleration will be for GeForce6 and 7 families, versus the X1000 series limitation (correct me if I'm wrong, but the H.264 acceleration only exists on the new ATI generation).

Awesome.

However, I've always noticed pixelation while playing DVDs on the computer. Always. I believe this is due to the video being reshaped to 1280x1024 to fit my resolution full screen. In windowed mode it looks fine.

Is it fair to guess that this new PureVideo will affect this?

HighTest said:
One important note: H.264 acceleration will be for GeForce6 and 7 families, versus the X1000 series limitation (correct me if I'm wrong, but the H.264 acceleration only exists on the new ATI generation).

I think you are correct, but nVidia doesnt give out free DVD software like ATi does. :rolleyes: So they both could do better. ;)

fromage said:
Awesome.

However, I've always noticed pixelation while playing DVDs on the computer. Always. I believe this is due to the video being reshaped to 1280x1024 to fit my resolution full screen. In windowed mode it looks fine.

PureVideo upscaling is fantastic...what codec are you using?

fromage said:
Awesome.

Might be a codec issue, i've seen that happen before (on a different format) at normal size it looks great. Then at full screen it almost looks like it's dithered.

HighTest said:
Check out http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=51235

Note this quote from the press release:

I knew that it would be a short period of time after ATI's release to see this for the nVIDIA crowd.

I thought NV had always said they'd support H.264 decoding acceleration?

The X1800's etc will accelerate encoding as well which I don't think the NV cards will do.

It means when watching h.264 content, your cpu won't be used as much and a lot of the work will be pushed onto your graphics card (fingers crossed your cpu won't be at 100% utilization).

Sable said:
I thought NV had always said they'd support H.264 decoding acceleration?

The X1800's etc will accelerate encoding as well which I don't think the NV cards will do.

The problem is that the press release doesn't indicate encoding so you could be right, but we'll have to find out at CES. The important thing, is that the encoding codec that is used by ATI (Cyberlink, which is also not free for ATI users but has to be purchased directly from Cyberlink but is supported for hardware Encoding) is also being listed in the press release for nVIDIA. So it's possible that the same "encoding" enhancements "may" be present for the nVIDIA crew as well.

If it's possible, this may not be explained until the actuall CES presentation as a "gotcha" type suprise.

But again, I'm completely speculating about the encoding portion and you could well be correct in that the current X1000 series being the only current generation product to also assist in encoding H.264 video.

I presume h.264 is broken in the 6800 AGP versions just like PureVideo was not fully working. And only works on the PCIe 6800's and all 6200/6600's ?

chrisf6969 said:
I presume h.264 is broken in the 6800 AGP versions just like PureVideo was not fully working. And only works on the PCIe 6800's and all 6200/6600's ?

The MPEG-2 functions of Purevideo works fine on my AGP 6800GT...
Meaning that DVD-playback with FULL purevideo-function works fine...
The WMV9 functions in my AGP 6800GT is missing 1 or 2 features compared to later versions.
I still don't own any WMV9 video's but I own loads of DVD's...
It wouldn't call that a "broken" Purevideo, but a "borked" Purevideo...Borked in a area that nobody really uses...

Terra - Sorry for bringing facts to the table... ;)

chrisf6969 said:

Hard to say, as the broken PureVideo was pretty specific to just HD WMV9 decoding. But this may also indicate that H.264 decoding is also broken depending on how it uses the programable engine.

One more reason to move to PCI-E if you are interested in the H.264 codec. I imagine that the codec will also have some limitations in WIndows XP, since even Microsoft is having to wait for Vista to deal with some DRM issues that the movie houses are requiring. So H.264 may work for "free unencrypted" streams of H.264 video, but Vista may be required to view commercial works (with a few exceptions).

Since Vista really requires PCI-E according to the rumoured requirements (rumoured in that they are mentioned by MS staff, but the product isn't released yet).

Back