CES/Kepler

The price of GTX 580s actually went up during Q3 2011. During Q2 the price of many 580's (even 3GBs) had dropped by about $50 on average, though some of this drop was due to rebates. When it became obvious that the 7970 would not be coming out soon, prices went back to MSRP plus or minus $20 and the "leaked" info about an EVGA Christmas sale on 580s ended up not happening.

@ pelo when larrabee was first announced, i specifically remember reading a rumour that sony wanted to use it for the ps4. Of course it getting delayed and such the rumour then changed to PowerVR which was suppose to be similar to the dreamcast gpu but faster.

then out of nowhere, hard posts saying AMD was getting it (which is great for them IMHO) so i'm giving more rep to hard but for now, it's still technically a rumour.
It’s a bit more than just a rumour but not fact yet. First Sony used PowerVR in the PSP Vita then they took out an extended GPU licence see

http://www.imgtec.com/corporate/newsdetail.asp?NewsID=643

Here's a GTX580 for $470

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133360

Please link to a 7970 that is less than that.

Even at that price, wouldn't you still want to go with a 7970 for $80-120 more if you had the money? Based off of [H] overclocked 7970 review, when pushed to 1.125 ghz ( supposedly the easiest thing in the world to do) it was 33% - 60% faster than the 3GB 580GTX OC and when it was pushed to 1.265 it was 45% to 80% faster than the 580 3GB OC. Looks like the stock 580's are hovering at around $500 while the 3GB are $550-600... I think if you had the money, the speed difference is in favor of ATI. I think they would have to lower the 580 to around $400-450 for it to make sense... Just my 2 cents.

doubt Nvidia will correct their pricing just because AMD rolled out $500,000 worth of inventory

when AMD fixes availability and releases the rest of the SI arch.,
with compelling prices, I am sure that will get Nvidia attention

I fail to see how Nvidia will sell ANY 580s if they don't drop the price. Only a complete idiot would by a 580 that costs MORE then a 7970 and is slower by 15-30%.

There are plenty of "complete idiots" because one time a friend's former roomate's uncle's, ex girlfriend's brother in law had an ATI 7 years ago with driver issues and now they refuse to even consider the brand.

doubt Nvidia will correct their pricing just because AMD rolled out $500,000 worth of inventory

Fixes availability? Sure they've been in and out of stock since release on the 9th, but I've been consistently able to find 7970s in stock somewhere at ~MSRP within a couple of hours. I haven't seen Newegg actually be totally out of stock of them for more than a couple of hours at a time. Seems to me they have pretty damn good availability for being as good as they are and as new as they are especially on a new fab process. This is NOTHING like the availability issues the 58xx series had at launch. Heck- its probably better than the availability of the 69xx series at launch!

Newegg probably sold hundreds of 7970s every day since launch. So that might be $500,000 for one e-tailer in one country alone.
It is hard to believe that this would not cause a dent in NVidia's high-end sales. Kepler cannot come soon enough for them.

When AMD rolled out the 5800-series cards and Nvidia was six-months late, I picked up a 5850 to hold me over. It was the first ATI card I owned since a horrible experience with a 9800 Pro in 2003. Performance with the 5850 was crippled in many games (Borderlands, for one) and it seemed every other week there was an AMD hotfix coming out. Plus, I couldn't run PhysX in Batman: Arkham Asylum and other games even though I had the GPU horsepower. Bottom line, I gave AMD another shot and regretted it. I bought a GTX 570 last summer and love it. So when the new GeForces come out, I will be picking one of them up.

Fixes availability? Sure they've been in and out of stock since release on the 9th, but I've been consistently able to find 7970s in stock somewhere at ~MSRP within a couple of hours. I haven't seen Newegg actually be totally out of stock of them for more than a couple of hours at a time. Seems to me they have pretty damn good availability for being as good as they are and as new as they are especially on a new fab process. This is NOTHING like the availability issues the 58xx series had at launch. Heck- its probably better than the availability of the 69xx series at launch!

I'm guessing demand for the 7970 is lower than demand for the 6970 was (not sure about 5870). Fewer potential buyers at a $550 price point, especially with everyone expecting Nvidia to announce something in the not too distant future.

That's a 1.5GB model. Not applicable. Best price I could find in Canada for a 3GB 580 was $540. Reference 7970s are $550 here. You'd have to love 3D Surround or Physx to buy a 3GB 580 over a 7970 right now. When the 7950 comes out at $450-$475 then it gets even worse for nVidia.

This is PRIME1 you're talking to. He'd probably advise people to buy the NVIDIA'sFX5800 over ATI's 9700 back in the days.

That's a 1.5GB model. Not applicable. Best price I could find in Canada for a 3GB 580 was $540. Reference 7970s are $550 here. You'd have to love 3D Surround or Physx to buy a 3GB 580 over a 7970 right now. When the 7950 comes out at $450-$475 then it gets even worse for nVidia.

Prime1 is a hypocrite, with an ironic signature line :)

He keeps telling anyone who will listen that the [H] review pits a HD 7970 against a poor widdle GTX 580 1.5GB so it not fair. He conveniently tends to forget it is overclocked and more expensive than the HD 7970, yet still loses. Now he posts links to the cheapest 1.5GB GTX 580 he can find to prove the HD 7970 is overpriced.

Either it is unfair to pit a GTX 1.5GB against the HD 7970 or it isn't. You can't have it both ways... oh wait, you can if you have an agenda like PRIME1

Incidentally, the cheapest GTX 580 3GB I can find from reputable UK retailers is still more expensive than the HD 7970 I purchased.

Last edited:
This makes me sad. I want to upgrade from my GTX 295 and nothing is really worth replacing it yet. :S

Nice to see at least one person around here has a clue. A few 7970's trickling into retail won't hurt sales of the 580 immediately. It's hard to believe I know but a lot of people have no idea what a 7970 is or that it was launched this week. 580 prices will come down eventually though as 7970 volumes ramp up. Would be interesting to know if nVidia is even ordering GF110 wafers still.

There are plenty of "complete idiots" because one time a friend's former roomate's uncle's, ex girlfriend's brother in law had an ATI 7 years ago with driver issues and now they refuse to even consider the brand.

That's strange because I just bought 2 Sapphire 7970s to run in Crossfire/Eyefinity and it was a complete mess. Between the stuttering, screen tearing, glitches, and lack of Crossfire profile for SWTOR or the other games I'm playing, even after a Win 7 reinstall the problems remained, I just gave up and put my 460s back in. Sadly enough, it worked perfectly again with the 460s, albeit slower. So maybe if you have a simple setup AMD works well, but a complex 3 monitor Crossfire setup was complete fail. It was literally garbage and I'll be one of those folks picking up either 3GB 580s (don't care about cost vs 7970) or waiting for the new Kepler gpus.

AMD will not be getting my money again for another 6 years, if they're lucky. I figured with everyone raving about the 7970s and how much better their drivers had gotten it had to be better. Especially Kyle saying they're going in his system. That was when I figured it was a safe bet. Yeah, no. It sucked. Wasted my whole weekend trying to make them work correctly. Don't get me wrong, they "worked". They just didn't work correctly. A fast gpu with tearing and stuttering is not worth it. Only game it worked right in was Skyrim, but that's because Skyrim was running 1920x1080 on one screen, and I didn't buy 2 7970s to play @ 1920x1080. I just don't see why I'd give up the hassle-free setup I have to keep the 7970s and "hope" that AMD gets their shit figured out, because they've proven their driver team is slow and unreliable.

I'll be sticking with Nvidia.

EDIT: In case you're wondering, I sent the cards back to Newegg. Thankfully they were willing to waive the restocking fee, probably due to the ridiculous amount of money I spend there each year. I had em up in the For Sale forum for a bit before I came to my senses and got a refund, in case you think I'm just making this up. Yes, I'd rather use my 460s than that crap.

Last edited:
Back