Certain wireless devices disconnecting

verdell35

n00b
I had my first linksys router(3yrs old) stop working last week. So I went out to purchase a new one(Linksys E900), which is connected to my Time warner modem(ARRIS DG860)
100mb dn/3 up. Now it seems to be disconnecting with certain devices namely, cell phones in my network.

No problems with these devices:
pc is hard wired, iMac wireless, Laptop(win 8) wireless, PS3, Verizon cell, Zune, and my iPhone 4s.

Problems,
daughters iPod touch and iPhone 4, Son's iPhone, wife's Samsung Galaxy 3

Is there a reason this just started happening?

Thanks in advance

So it keeps making me go into the basement and disconnect my router and modem. Then they have to log back in with wireless pass..

iphones are notorious for powering down their wireless connections. Some wireless devices really don't work well with that. The apple forum has a couple of people seeing the same issue as you.

Thanks Mackintire for the response.. I will keep an eye on the Apple forum for any future resolutions.

One thing that can help with Apple devices is to not use a "mixed" mode encryption setting.

If your wireless router has a combined "WPA/WPA2" option that allows devices to use either encrpytion, don't use it.

Instead pick either WPA only, or WPA2 only. WPA2 being the recommended one.

Additionally it can help some if you manually pick a WiFi channel, instead of setting it to AUTO. Some routers will change channel constantly when set to auto, and not all devices are smart about following that....

Thanks to all for all the helpful advice. I will be making recommended changes this evening.

Back