Certain websites not loading

Akuma

2[H]4U
My friend is having this problem and I'm pretty clueless on the issue:

He recently reformatted his laptop with Windows XP + SP2. Internet connection is established and most websites load, however certain sites (he lists: aol mail, myspace, and most sites retrieved through a search engine) won't load at all. This happens in both Firefox and IE.

The computer is virus and spyware free, all drivers are up-to-date, and host files are fine. It continues to happen with or without his firewall up. No hardware has changed. Winsock did not fix the problem.

I searched for a while but didn't find anything too helpful that we didn't already try and we're stumped now. Any ideas [H]?

Thanks.

Are other computers on the network having trouble? Did he try restarting his router and modem?

does MSN load up? or Microsoft?
router?
any other PCs to test with?

does MSN load up? or Microsoft?
router?
any other PCs to test with?
Is he at work or at a school which blocks access to myspace, youtube, etc?

Try this...
Go under "start" select "run" at the open: enter cmd click ok
enter ping www.myspace.com

Do you get a reply? If not, its being blocked at the IP level. If you do get a response, write down the IP address you see. When I do it, I see 63.135.80.45
Now open your browser and enter http://63.135.80.45 or whatever IP address you see, it doesn't really matter. What happens? If you have a DNS issue myspace should come up with this address. Actually if you have a DNS issue the ping would not have resolved.

Change the secondary DNS server to 4.2.2.6, flush the DNS in DOS with
ipconfig /flushdns

see what happens

Change the secondary DNS server to 4.2.2.6

no way . . . 4.2.2.2 is so much better than 4.2.2.6!!! :D

Does sound like a DNS issue. Some more information would be helpful. Like if the laptop has the same problem from different networks or if it is just at home or work or something.

Back