Certain games reset my comp, plz help!

odd nimrod

Weaksauce
I hope this is the correcrt forum to post this in because i would like any help that you would be willing to give, thanx.
I'm runing windows xp and some of my games restart my computer as soon as they leave the desktop. It is really puzzling becasue it only happens with some games. Half life 1 & 2, Far Cry, Doom 3, Medal of Honor, Halo, Jedi Knight 2, grand theft auto 3 all run well and i havent the slightest problem. but games like midnight club 2, need for speed underground 2, and deer hunter 2 all restart my computer. My computer was intially over clocked, but i backed down all of the settings back to stock including the video card and i am still having this probmlem. i have fast writes on if that makes a difference, and i am not running a service pack, though i have all the security updates. system specs in sig. Thanx!
P.S. i have upgraded my power supply to a 420W thermaltake one, bought for 37$ off newegg!

I'm surprised some of those games don't scream at you for that video card.

Anyway, the first thing I'd to is go into system properties and disable automatic reboots. This way if your getting a BSOD, it will halt so you can read it.

Second, I'd start looking into video drivers, re-applying DirectX, and any chipset drivers as well.

and test your ram ( memtest.org ?), its very likely a hardware or driver failure.

(not affecting) both graphical APIs, so im kinda stuck with driver issues

but only affecting direct draw it seems (google seems to suck today)

Thanks for the response, i went in and turned off the automatic reboot and now i get the famed BSOD and all it says is stop error. i uninstalled and reinstalled direct x, and video drivers to no avail.

What is the stop message? IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or what??? What is the filename at the end of the 3rd or 4th line?

This same thing happens to my computer. It seems to be a direct x issue as the Direct Draw test in the direct x diagnostic does the same thing.

Do you have a legit copy of WinXP? I wonder if that could be the culprit.

Back