Centralized windows user accounts? log in from any computer?

rpeters83

Gawd
Is it possible to set up multiple machines, running windows Vista/2008 server to allow users to log in from any location and have all their settings be in tact? Meaning, if I have my email and other settings for my account on one machine, I'd like to be able to log into another machine and have all my email settings, etc.

Assuming the same programs are installed, is this possible? Can the accounts be "hosted" on a server on the network? Thanks.

Are you familiar at all with Active Directory and Group Policy?

If you are asking the question, i'm assuming you aren't. Therefore you have a boat load of reading to do. Its not exactly simple to set up what you are looking for.

Running Active Directory, you have domain user accounts.
Adding a feature called Roaming Profiles...yes their Documents, Desktop, Faves, e-mail settings, etc....will follow their login.

Everyone pretty much sumed it up pretty well.

Assuming Vista is Business/Ultimate this can be done.

Read up on Active Directory, Group Policies, Roaming Profiles, and for sake of learning, folder redirection.

It's so sad, at work the other day my boss said "screw AD, you're Novell now" when talking to a co-worker. I sighed. I'm jealous of the simplicity of AD networks. I just don't get why people hate on it. I work with Novell and it's just a pain in the ass to have separate log ins and having to disable security for every damn machine I work on then re-enable and log the users back in ... zero effort networking my ass

Because it is MS, everyone hates anything MS does, even when their products kick some serious arse (AD/DC/Exchange/ISA and so on)

Back