Centralized SSD Datastore - what OS?

jimphreak

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to move my virtualized data (vdisks, docker containers, etc.) off my VM server and to a centralized all SSD storage server that will eventually be upgraded to 10GbE this summer. I'm trying to determine what are some good storage OS/filesystem options for my use case.

Linux/ZFS

Well yes I'm leaning towards Linux but I'm looking for more specific options. I know FreeNAS is an option but I remember their community being no fun for newcomers. Are there any other good solutions with a solid community?

Well yes I'm leaning towards Linux but I'm looking for more specific options. I know FreeNAS is an option but I remember their community being no fun for newcomers. Are there any other good solutions with a solid community?

FreeNAS is just an interface to ease the management of ZFS file system. There are others out there. I use Napp-it personally and have had a wonderful experience with it.

I use the hard community whenever i have an issue and can't find the answer on google.

I would care about the OS family at first like

Solaris Family (NexentaStor appliance or Oracle Solaris or OpenIndiana/OmniOS opt with napp-it web-UI)
This is where ZFS and NFS where developed so OS/ZFS integration and mostly performance is best.
All storage related features like iSCSI, NFS, kernelbased SMB with some unique features
or Network virtualisation are part of Solaris and its Forks (no 3rd party tools needed).

Originally Solaris was not a home option but enterprise only. Therefor marketshare is lower and some home tools ex a Plex mediaserver are missing. You must care about hardware, mostly should use server class hardware. Best if you care mainly about a ZFS Storage appliance,

BSD Family (FreeNAS, Nas4Free, ZFSGuru)
They use ZFS for a long time together with services like SAMBA. Marketshare is higher and more home tools
like mediaservers etc are available. Hardware support is better than Solaris but far below Linux
Best if you need a ZFS appliance with services like Plex.

Linux Family (OMV)
Everything is working on any hardware but for every option you find 10 possibilities.
Not the "it just works experience". Best if you need special hardware or services.

Back