Central UPS Recommendation

I hope I am posting in the right place.

I am looking for some advice regarding central UPS infrastructures. I manage about 25 physical servers spanning 60-70 units. Right now I have a UPS for every 2 servers... on average. The infrastructure was slowly built without future expansion in mind. I recently inherited this infrastructue. One problem I noticed right away is that the servers without a direct connection to the UPS do not safely shutdown... obviously. Does the PowerChute software allow you to remotely shutdown computers without the agent? I assume that you only install the agent on computers physically attached to the UPS. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Another solution that I have been considering is to overhaul the whole system and purchase a central UPS with a network management card and environmental monitoring. This is a tough decision because all the UPSs are less than 2 years old, which will no longer be of any use. I will regain some rack space by purchasing a tower system as well... so there are many disadvantages/advantages. Another possible benefit is the environmental monitoring to shutdown the servers when the thermal threshold is reached. However, many of the Dell servers can already do this out of the box. Can anyone add anything to convince me that a central UPS is better than serveral smaller UPSs? I know central management is a big plus.. but I can do that with the deluxe PowerChute software.

most apc ups allow you to connect 2-3 servers to each ups. There is also network shutdown tool from apc which will allow single ups to shutdown multiple systems.

I was under the assumption that the network shutdown tool was only for use with their network management smart card... or whatever they call it.

Back