cENTOS 5.5 64-Bit fails to boot on default xenserver 5.6 fp1 install

Posted this on the citrix forums, maybe I can get some help from the [H]orde instead.

I'm having a hard time to get linux guests to run under my default install of xenserver 5.6 fp1. I can get windows guests to run with no problem but when I create a EL-based VM and try to boot, I get the following errors in order. I've tried google and get mixed results with no real answers.

Internal error: XenguestHelper.Xc_dom_linux_build_failure(2, " xc_dom_parse_elf_kernel: ELF image has no shstrtab\\\\n\\\"")

If I try to start the VM again, I get a different error:

WARNING: /dev/xvda is not a disk image - Traceback (most recent call last): - File "/usr/bin/pygrub", line 746, in ? - raise RuntimeError, "Unable to find partition containing kernel" - RuntimeError: Unable to find partition containing kernel

I built the VM using the supplied templates for CentOS 5.5 (64-bit) and I cannot even get to the OS installation as the VM will not boot. I can launch the VM in recovery mode and have no issues there.

I've seen some posts about using the xe-edit-bootloader command on the VM to set the partition as bootable but I haven't had any success doing this.

I can provide more details as needed.

Thanks!

Posted this on the citrix forums, maybe I can get some help from the [H]orde instead.

I'm having a hard time to get linux guests to run under my default install of xenserver 5.6 fp1. I can get windows guests to run with no problem but when I create a EL-based VM and try to boot, I get the following errors in order. I've tried google and get mixed results with no real answers.

Internal error: XenguestHelper.Xc_dom_linux_build_failure(2, " xc_dom_parse_elf_kernel: ELF image has no shstrtab\\\\n\\\"")

If I try to start the VM again, I get a different error:

WARNING: /dev/xvda is not a disk image - Traceback (most recent call last): - File "/usr/bin/pygrub", line 746, in ? - raise RuntimeError, "Unable to find partition containing kernel" - RuntimeError: Unable to find partition containing kernel

I built the VM using the supplied templates for CentOS 5.5 (64-bit) and I cannot even get to the OS installation as the VM will not boot. I can launch the VM in recovery mode and have no issues there.

I've seen some posts about using the xe-edit-bootloader command on the VM to set the partition as bootable but I haven't had any success doing this.

I can provide more details as needed.

Thanks!

Try using it "install from the install media" template. Let me knwo if that works. if it does, you'll have an "HVM" guest up & running.

Once it's HVM, it's pretty easy to paravirtualize. I can walk you through it.

Well it has VBDs listed so I don't get why it would freak out, unless those UUIDs weren't valid.

You might diff the two configs and see what's different.

Ima bump this because i founds this thread while searching for the same issue with centos 5.6 x64 and xenserver 5.6 fp1.

I did install using other install media template and then paravirtualized the system, which wasnt too hard, but annoying.

The next time I went back and instead of using the first image for my 2nd machine, i decided to try the CentOS 5 x64 template again, and chose http media install. Just did a barebones netinstall with the http addy pointing right to the mirror.centos.org, i didnt use any mounted ISOs or dvds. And it worked right out of the gate. Figured id update this post in case anyone else gets stuck with the CentOS install on xenserver.

Back