Cellular Phone as a laptop modem

GDut0n said:
Well if you can make a call, isn't it possible to dial up? It's just like plugging your laptop into a wall jack, except the wall jack is wireless right?

I have a v60i and a data cable but I can't get it to work, anyone done this before?

I have a kyocera and have no problems. I am trying to get my buddies v60i to connect and have this problem:

When you go to contorl panel and click on modems, install, and "dont auto detect" I select the v60i modem. the next page should say what port/com and you choose one and go from there. For me, there is no com/port to select. just a big white box. Is this where you are getting stuck at?

would anyone using verizon be kind enough to write a small tutorial? I'm quite blown away by all of this, I would just be using the phone for simple browsing/e-mail, but i'm a little confused as to how to get started. I would probably purchase the cable from radio shack. If anyone would do this it would be a big help to all...thanks.

I cannot get the crappy cable from RadioShack to work with my PC. I can install the cable/drivers for cable fine but have issues with the machines finding the phone and consequently making the phone a modem.

I am going to be hitting up the Verizon store for the Mobile Office Kit for $40. This will give me a cable with out the stupid serial-to-USB adapter and I will not have to worry about the above problems.

I am using a LG VX6000 and having these problems. I don’t know about other phone but for this one I suggest a strait USB cable for it. Of course the FutureDial cable works fine with my iBook so I will keep that cable in my lappy bag and use the Verizon USB cable stricky at home.

Now dialing is easy. First make sure you have 1xRTT turned on on your phone. If you don’t have 1x, you are out of luck. The username is you phone number @ vzw3g.com and the password is vzw. You will be dialing #777.

[email protected]
vzw

that’s it. Of course you need to set the phone to be your modem.

If you have a GSM provider (not sure about CMDA) you can setup your phone as a modem and connect via GPRS and get faster speeds. If you setup your phone like a traditional modem and have it dial an ISP its gonna be hella slow. Most phones top out at 9.6k or 14.4k. Over GPRS is when people are reporting DSL like speeds. On my SE T610 (as well as all SE phones) you dial a combination of *'s and #'s with a few numbers thrown in to connect via GPRS.

Oh, with T Mo even though free WAP was blocked if you connect to the internet on your computer with your phone via GPRS it is still free.

vzw1.png

allnighte.gif

Here is how I do it with Verizon

You need data cable and moble office kit, www.ebay.com

run the cd and make sure your pc and phone work together, you can sinc # and other stuff.

running xp..go start, control panel, modems, top tab says modems, then ADD, a box comes up and says auto detect, click no ill find it myself, and then click on your phone, then it will show a port/com, mine is com 4, just click on that and then OK. You should be up and going then. You will have to go to control panel and set up a manual connection to the internet. ( network connections ) go through that wizard and when you come to the point where you are to choose a modem, choose your phone. finish that, and you are connected!!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This kit looks like it has the mobile office plus a usb thingy. Will it work alone or do I need something else for the best connection?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
We dont know if it would work, as we dont know what phone you have. Best to just go verizeonwireless.com and get the kit from them.

Does Verizon not have bluetooth-enabled phones on their phone list yet?

up here in canada, if you're on rogers, the EDGE network will give you speeds of up to 200kb/s

i love my 6230

Just got a new Kyocera KX414. Just a cheapy phone. My plan is 24$ a month. Hmmmm, thats what my dialup was for msn.com. Dropped the dial-up account through Msn.com. and bought my new phone. I now have the 1X and its fast as hell, (compared to 11.4)

So 1X and I have used 15,000 minutes so far and loving it. Hell, for only 24$ a month???SWEEEEEET

Back in NOV03 I got a letter from Sprint warning me that if I continuted to use so much bandwidth that they would cancel my account.

Alastor said:
Back in NOV03 I got a letter from Sprint warning me that if I continuted to use so much bandwidth that they would cancel my account.

He he, I have moved about 1.6GB in the past six weeks I think. That is up and down added together..

What can I say, I am bored at nights. :p

Back