Cell Phone For Me? Pick one!

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright, folks. Looking for a personal phone. Since it's personal, don't care about Exchange or enterprise features (which means the iPhone (*shudder*) is actually in the running).

Here's the thoughts about where I live...
TMobile lacks 3G here.
Sprint's had 3G the logest of any carrier.
ATT has 3G here.
No Verizon.

Now, what phone would you be looking at getting? I'm going to need something in about a month or so...
iPhone: Great browser obviously, lots of apps. It sucks on so many levels though. The iPhone 4G sounds fantastic but I have a feeling that'll be longer than one month in coming?

NexusOne: I love this phone. However, TMobile has no 3G here. Worth it? Possibility of me moving to somewhere with 3G coverage, but nothing certain. Not sure if it's possible to add this onto ATT or not.

HTC *: The new Android/7 Devices (HD3, etc) all look sweet- but when are they coming out?

Only reason I'm kindof shying away from Blackberry at this point is that I want a great browser on the phone. Personal phone means I want more "fun" use out of it.

Mainly, I don't want to buy something that I'd regret "I wish I would've waited for ____".

Any input here?

The rumor train has the N1 coming to ATT pretty soon according to Engadget. No, I can't define 'pretty soon'. :confused:

I'm waiting for the official news from the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on the upcoming HTC phones. (2/15 to 2/18). I'm keeping my eyes on the HTC Legend (HTC Hero Successor). Rumor has it that it's coming around March this year.

If you're in a rush, just get the unlocked Nexus One.

You think I can go ahead and buy an unlocked one from Google and just use it on ATT?

A few have moved their TMo N1 to Att but the intarwebs frequencies are different between the two carriers. You would still be able to use the EDGE network on ATT, but it is a lot slower than the 3G on ATT as far as I know.

You think I can go ahead and buy an unlocked one from Google and just use it on ATT?

you can.

but, as stated, you will not get 3G as they don't have the correct radio for use on AT&T's 3G frequency. Which is part of the reason the N1 coming to AT&T would be a good thing (different FCC ID, so AT&T 3G radio)

I think I'm limited to ATT or Sprint. Only 3G providers here.
So what's that seem to leave me? The iPhone??? Is there anything else?

Sprint - go with a Palm Pre

AT&T - just don't do it ;) ...and tell Luke Wilson to blow some more blatant lies out his ass to get paid for his acting skills. Those map comparison commercials are oscar-worthy performances.

What about the HTC HD2? I think HTC's SenseUI looks sweet, but I don't know the carrier.

i have to agree with get_quad. Sprint Palm Pre phone is great =) Love how the phone handles multitasking, Flash support (within the next month), pdk will soon be released and that will increase the amount of apps (early beta pdk to some developers have already started porting apps from iphone to pre since the hardware behind 3gs and Pre are similar). Sprint prices are so much better than anything u could get with at&t. check Precentral.net for any more info on phone.

thats to get employee referral pricing

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/846333?highlight_key=y&keyword1=plus+referral
Only about $10 bucks off a month if u get the minute plans and they toss in some extra minutes.

or u can try this other offer not sure if its still working but you could get 25% off discount or at the very least 10% discount not sure if u can stack these up.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/897834/

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and save you all the time in the world deciding this.

Get an iPhone.

How many times have you seen companies and people claim that X Y Z phone will be the iPhone "killer." They have all fell short and nothing currently out or in the foreseeable future compares to an iPhone.

There are also many hacks / changes you can make to an iPhone to give you even more customization (and almost anything that you pay for can be found for free for the iPhone).

Feel free to pm me and ask for more details if you want to or ask for contact info if you are interested in talking about this further.

Don't waste your time or money.

What about the HTC HD2? I think HTC's SenseUI looks sweet, but I don't know the carrier.
When is it coming out?
Only thing that causes me hesitation is just Windows Mobile. I have yet to see a UI done as well as someone that does their own (Android or iPhone).

My situation is that I'm going to be changing jobs shortly... Company phone is going bye-bye. I've got a few weeks to choose what I want, but I can't wait until Summer.

One option in my mind is getting a cheap $20 Walmart Phone but honestly, I use too much data and I think I'd drive myself crazy using that for months.

How many times have you seen companies and people claim that X Y Z phone will be the iPhone "killer." They have all fell short and nothing currently out or in the foreseeable future compares to an iPhone.

There are also many hacks / changes you can make to an iPhone to give you even more customization (and almost anything that you pay for can be found for free for the iPhone).

Feel free to pm me and ask for more details if you want to or ask for contact info if you are interested in talking about this further.

To be fair, the NexusOne beats the iPhone in every way possible. The iPhone can't compete with it from a hardware standpoint, either. There's viable alternatives, but what everyone else lacks is the MARKETING that Apple does. It's just obviously I don't have a clear cut way to have the NexusOne right now.

The iPhone sucks for business. It's viable for me on a personal level, I just don't want to "settle" for a 3GS if a NexusOne is just a couple weeks away, or a 4G iPhone is a couple months away... If that makes sense.

All that said, the 3GS is still a very viable option at this point.

i have to agree with get_quad. Sprint Palm Pre phone is great =) Love how the phone handles multitasking, Flash support (within the next month),
So you use this yourself?

I'm going to go ahead and save you all the time in the world deciding this.

Get an iPhone.

QFMFT - except for the piracy parts which, while true, I don't endorse

Last edited:
What does QFMFT mean (Sorry I have no idea)

and yeah, I don't endorse them either but that doesn't mean I don't know how to get them up and running =p Tech Geek at heart!

I got a 3GS :) I'm hoping Apple adds some more home screen customization, and MULTITASKING to this in a software update.

You can kind of do multitasking by using applications such as Multifl0w it is also mentioned to be in an upcoming OS update. Screen customization is available in the form of themes and icon changes. Not so much outside of that.

What does QFMFT mean (Sorry I have no idea)

quoted for motherfucking truth

Although, has a jailbreak come out for the models with the newer bootloader? I love my 3gs but without jailbreak.... Techiesooner, as long as you can jailbreak all those things are available right now. Pogoplank, stack, themes, desktop widgets. multitasking

Since Jobs went ballistic on Google... Saying he'll bring features that they can't rival in an update, I'm kindof hoping some of these come via an update somewhat soon.

You can kind of do multitasking by using applications such as Multifl0w it is also mentioned to be in an upcoming OS update. Screen customization is available in the form of themes and icon changes. Not so much outside of that.
Don't really want to jailbreak it :)

You cant jailbreak the new 3.13 OS (I have it linked somewhere else in these forums) but I'm sure thats only for a matter of time. The new OS update doesn't offer anything spectacular anyway.

Yeah, the newest OS version can't be jailbroken. But also there was a newer bootloader rom shipped starting a few months back that prevented jailbreaking on 3.1.2 as well.

Yeah, the newest OS version can't be jailbroken. But also there was a newer bootloader rom shipped starting a few months back that prevented jailbreaking on 3.1.2 as well.

Oh yea? I think there was a way to get around that as well. I can't remember off the top of my head. If I remember and/or find the link, I'll toss up a link.

The newer bootrom prevented a full jailbreak, only tethered. What this means is, if you do a hard reset or run out of battery, you need to plug it back into your computer otherwise it'll be stuck on the dreadful Itunes connection screen until you do. But otherwise, it can do everything else a fully jailbroken phone can do.

Basically, rule of thumb is all iPhones week 40 and under are good to go. 41, it seems to be mixed along with 42 (weird...) but anything above that, it's guaranteed to have the new bootrom.

To the OP: Apple follows an annual schedule. You'll see the updated iPhone likely in June/July.

To the OP: Apple follows an annual schedule. You'll see the updated iPhone likely in June/July.

If not sooner. Again, Jobs seemed pretty adamant he was bringing new stuff pretty quickly... I'd hope we see some more customization options, as well as multitasking ability.

Back