Celeron v pentium 4

enner100

n00b
Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a 3.0Ghz Pentium Celeron and a 3.0Ghz Pentium 4?

enner100 said:
Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a 3.0Ghz Pentium Celeron and a 3.0Ghz Pentium 4?

well in a nutshell the main difference is cache size

Northwood P4: 512KB
Northwood Celeron: 128KB

Prescott P4: 1MB to 2MB
Prescott Celeron D: 256KB

Celeron D's arent too bad, I wouldnt even consider a Northwood Celeron unless its the only thing I could afford

bus speed too.

northwood p4C: 800mhz bus
northwood celeron: 400mhz bus

prescott p4E: 800mhz bus
prescott celeron D: 533 bus

lithium726 said:
bus speed too.

northwood p4C: 800mhz bus
northwood celeron: 400mhz bus

prescott p4E: 800mhz bus
prescott celeron D: 533 bus

yeah, guess i forgot about that

lets not for get that some P4's come with hyperthreading too, no HT goodness on any Celeron

pstang said:
yeah, guess i forgot about that

lets not for get that some P4's come with hyperthreading too, no HT goodness on any Celeron
soon or a later we will have dual core celery's :D

Well let see it depend on what P4 you are talking about, if your talking about the prescott, it has HT. Comparing a celeron to P4 is like comparing a Ferrari to a Honda Civic. :p

delusion_2005 said:
Well let see it depend on what P4 you are talking about, if your talking about the prescott, it has HT. Comparing a celeron to P4 is like comparing a Ferrari to a Honda Civic. :p
no its more like comparing a comparing a camaro to a corvette....a celeron D is an excellent performer despite what you guys may think, also HT doesnt really do shit. My step dads celery D system performs just as well as my old pressy sytem (though it does bench lower)

cell_491 said:
no its more like comparing a camaro to a corvette....a celeron D is an excellent performer despite what you guys may think, also HT doesnt really do shit. My step dads celery D system performs just as well as my old pressy sytem (though it does bench lower)

QFT. The Celeron D's are a great improvement over the original Northwood P4 Celerons.

Willamette and Northwood Celerons were dark days for us Celeron lovers :(

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
*shudders* lol. I'm scared mommy.

Haha, best Celeron that barely was...Tualatin :D

I have a 1.3 that runs at 1.6ish and can hang with P4 2.6-2.8 in synthetic benchmarks.

acascianelli said:
Haha, best Celeron that barely was...Tualatin :D

I have a 1.3 that runs at 1.6ish and can hang with P4 2.6-2.8 in synthetic benchmarks.
TUALATIN....i think i left a creamy suprise in my underpants. I cant believe intel dumped the P!!! architecture for netburst

acascianelli said:
Not entirely ;)
well PM is a hybrid of netburst and the P!!! architecture and aparently the new intel cpus planned will be PM based (after the 65nm Pentium D's) so your right its not entirely gone

I just bought a Celeron D 320 (2.4), I'll start a thread when I get some oveclock results.

acascianelli said:
I just bought a Celeron D 320 (2.4), I'll start a thread when I get some oveclock results.

They're not bad overclockers, especially if you get an E0 revision. I'd like to try out one of those 310's though as they're all G0 cores.

My HP laptop has a 2.8 northwood, and it is very slow and eats batteries. I bet a Celeron D 2.4 would be a lot faster, but would it consume as much or less watts?

Edit I am pretty sure this laptop could work with it, because the exact same laptop was available with a 2.6 P4 (533fsb) and someone else posted their mobo specs with a P4 2.6 and it had the same northbridge as me (ATI R300 I think)

Boltaction said:
My HP laptop has a 2.8 northwood, and it is very slow and eats batteries. I bet a Celeron D 2.4 would be a lot faster, but would it consume as much or less watts?

Edit I am pretty sure this laptop could work with it, because the exact same laptop was available with a 2.6 P4 (533fsb) and someone else posted their mobo specs with a P4 2.6 and it had the same northbridge as me (ATI R300 I think)

well usually laptops that came with P4's came with P4-M's, some laptops do come with regular P4's wich do have poor battery performance

a 2.8 Northwood would be faster than the 2.4 CeleronD (higher clocked and more cache)

although the CeleronD would go into the laptop, without it being a mobile chip you would have to stay close to an outlet

Back