Celeron-D, overclocking and you.

CentronMe

2[H]4U
So I am thinking of getting one of those free Soyo 865 boards and a 2.4GHz Celeron-D. I am hoping to hit 3.6GHz, which would be the 200Mhz bus speed. I have heard of people doing this with the Celeron-D with stock or close to stock voltage.

it certainly make things cheap. celeron D's perform much better than the older northwood celerons. i believe a celeron D @ 3.7ghz is comparable to a p4 @ 3.2ghz. whereas older northwood celerons @ 3.2ghz would be outperformed by p4 @ 2.0ghz. i know for a fact that the athlon 2400 in my laptop has higher benchmarks in sisoft than a northwood celeron @ 3.3ghz.

and since the celeron D's use the 533 bus, regular pc3200 will provide more than enough overclocking headroom.

My free Soyo 865 board is on the way, well free after rebate. Will have to order teh Celeron now. :p

IIRC, make sure that it's compatible w/ the Prescott core ( I believe that is what the Celeron D is based on, correct me if I am wrong). ex. I'm sure it wouldn't work with a Chaintech 9VIF1 I have laying around.

I have had 2 Celeron D 2.4G, and another person has also had one. NONE of them gets past about 3.1-3.2G stable, 1.4375V, standard cooling, running PRIME95. That's around a 30% OC. Made in Phillipines.

On the other hand, I have a 2.66G Celeron D, and it happily OCs to 3.6G. (35% OC) Made in Malaysia.

I aslo have a Prescott 2.4A, and it OCs to 3.4 (41.7% OC) Made in Phillipines.

On that basis, I'd say a 2.66 Celeron D has more OC potential.

Back