Celeron D 340 Socket 478

Seongmin

Gawd
Hi, I was just wondering about the Celeron D 340 and it's potentials. I have one sitting in my eMachines but I'm thinking about switching my mom's mobo (ECS but at least it has an AGP slot :eek: ) just for fun. I was just wondering if anyone has this chip or knows anyone that does and can you please inform me on how this chip performs and overclocks?

Btw, is it possible to get 166fsb on this sucker, making it run at 3.65 :)?

Im interested in this too. these chips seem to be some pretty damn good overclockers.

My questions are :

How is there performance compared to say a 3.0 P4 with the 1mb L2. So far the only differance I can see is the L2. how important is it really when you have such a healthy oc'er?

Seongmin said:
Btw, is it possible to get 166fsb on this sucker, making it run at 3.65 :)?

You can probably get around there, really depends on your cooling / HSF. I'd say 3.2-3.4 probably with the stock cooler, if you have an aftermarket cooler you might hit 3.4-3.8Ghz+

Having the smaller cache hurts it in gaming. Pretty much everything else does fine with 256Kb of L2 (office apps, web, email, etc.).

but the hit isn't as bad as it was with the Northwood based Celly's.

They definitely are great bang for the buck processors that overclock well.

Run CPUID and see if its a C0 D0 or E0. My Celeron 320 is an E0 and hits 3.8ghz. I had a D0 of the same speed and it was flakey around 3.6ghz. It runs about as fast as a P4 3.0-3.2ghz.

Mine is the E0 :). Model 4, Stepping 1. I only want 3.65 out of this and I'll be very happy :). This is going to be a journey for me however, since I'm going to be using an ECS board using the VIA chipset :rolleyes: . Wish me luck :).

I just bought one on Ebay for $55, hoping it would handle some basic work. I'm going to use it in an HP d530 as my Media Center PC for a little while. I won't be doing any gaming or massive video encoding on it, so it should work just fine.

djnes said:
I just bought one on Ebay for $55, hoping it would handle some basic work. I'm going to use it in an HP d530 as my Media Center PC for a little while. I won't be doing any gaming or massive video encoding on it, so it should work just fine.

I'm using the cpu as we speak and it handles everything fine. I'm not sure about gaming though, cause my stupid integrated is owning me...It will work fine for a Media PC.

Seongmin said:
Mine is the E0 :). Model 4, Stepping 1. I only want 3.65 out of this and I'll be very happy :). This is going to be a journey for me however, since I'm going to be using an ECS board using the VIA chipset :rolleyes: . Wish me luck :).

I don't think you'll have a problem at all hiting 3.65. You probobly won't have to raise the vcore up at all, and if you do it won't be very much.

For the price it seems you cant beat it. i have a northy 2.4 revison c1 and it overclocks for shit. 2695mhz is the most i can get out of it and have it run stabe. but this chip has the 512kb L2, so i am curious on how much performance ill loose by going to 256kb L2.

I don't think you'll lose much at all, especially if you are able to gain higher o/c's with the new cpu. Even if you were to run a 2.4 along with a 2.4, with the only differences in being cache, I doubt you would notice a big difference in any applications (don't quote me on this though... :p ).

i think you would be able to do 166... my 335 does 152MHz with out breaking a sweat... the only reason i haven’t gone farther is my mobo stops at 152MHz :(

I'm freakin excited and can't wait till I get my hands on that ECS mobo (I know you have NEVER heard that before :p ).

so pretty much the celeron d is pretty much for everyday usage right? gaming wouldn't be recommended, so i'm guessing video editing wouldn't be either? i have a p4 3.0 and looking for upgrade possibilites w/o changing out my mbd....

myktek said:
so pretty much the celeron d is pretty much for everyday usage right? gaming wouldn't be recommended, so i'm guessing video editing wouldn't be either? i have a p4 3.0 and looking for upgrade possibilites w/o changing out my mbd....

what you have now will be better than a celeron d... just oc it and see how far it goes... your stock 3.0 p4 will beat my oc'd 3.2 celeron d

myktek said:

Even if you had a Celeron D @ 3.6, the P4 3.0 would still be faster. My Celeron D is at 3.8 and can barely compete with a P4 3.0

I currently have a AMD Athlon XP 266mhz. (256KB cache) 1.47 overclocked to 1825 Mhz. I'm considering buying a Celeron D 340 2.93 Mhz. which also has 256 cache. Will I see any big difference in speed with the Celeron D?? I'm running 1GB of RAM with the XP in single channel mode and will be running 1 GB in dual channel mode with the Celeron D. I know the RAM will be faster, but I need a true comparison of the CPU's head-to-head!! Like will the Celeron D with the new SSE3 be faster with Video processing, etc...??
Thanks!

probably a slght increase/ decrease. Only time I would get a celeron is for migrating to 775

A week ago I started to play with one of my old Celerons again. I had a certain limit on the amount of voltage I wanted to give it so I ended up being stable at 3.96GHz, but I did get a run of SANDRA at over 4.0. :)

celeron-d.png

Back