Cdrom S/PDIF to Prelude input?

SkyMonkey

Gawd
Joined
Jan 30, 2001
Messages
536
I am up and running with my Prelude and am looking for the best way to connect the cdrom drive to the card for cd playback. The card has the 4 pin analog connector, which works and is OK quality. Using WDM over the normal cdrom ribbon cable and through the PCI bus is the recommended (all digital) way, but I have always gotten pops and clicks due to activity on the PCI bus. I believe this is just an issue with my motherboard (A8N-SLI Deluxe).

I could get a converter that would connect to the 2 pin TTL S/PDIF output on the cdrom and would connect to the coax S/PDIF input on the back of the Prelude. It has to convert the TLL signals to either TOSLINK optical or coax signals. I could build something that does this, but I'd rather save the time and effort and buy one. I'm searching online for a place to buy one now...

Is this worth doing? My thinking is that it will provide the best quality possible from the cdrom due to bypassing both the cdrom analog stages and the motherboard PCI bus.

Thoughts?
 
Back
Top