• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

CD-RW window mod

shady

n00b
Joined
May 6, 2005
Messages
22
The victim is LG CD-RW: :D
(I appologize for the LQ pics, cell phone... :( )

lggce8400b3xj.jpg





After taking it a part, i cut the window with a dremel, and painted it:

0512282024320wh.jpg


0512282024546yy.jpg


0512282025461ne.jpg





To make it a little better, i made a tribal sign out of cardboard and painted over it:

0512291800361qe.jpg


0512291800525hf.jpg


0512291801115ak.jpg





Since i don't have plexiglass, i used the plastic from a CD box :D :

0512291834570ix.jpg


0512291835240oy.jpg


0512291835453me.jpg


0512291836082gu.jpg





And the final pics :) :

0512291848530vd.jpg


0512291849219oc.jpg


0512291849396ns.jpg


0512291850031xj.jpg


0512291850156cp.jpg


0512291850385zk.jpg


0512291851048xl.jpg


0512291852586ay.jpg


0512291854054dc.jpg


0512291854384gf.jpg
 
altec said:
Need to paint the CD tray it self.

Yeah, i thought of that, but im not sure how would the paint react to the heat inside, because it gets a little warm inside the cdrom case when the cd spins for a long time...
 
painted 2 dvd burner trays ( one single layer, one dual layer) and never experienced any problems. burned a lot but no heat problem. used car paint, metal flake btw.
 
Or can just always use some of that vinyl dye paint, i remember seeing a guide somewhere about it once :)
 
shadowlord said:
painted 2 dvd burner trays ( one single layer, one dual layer) and never experienced any problems. burned a lot but no heat problem. used car paint, metal flake btw.

I'll try it... ;)
 
Just check your paint to see if it says that it works on plastic, I've had a couple that really didn't work very good on it...
 
KodiakStar said:
Just check your paint to see if it says that it works on plastic, I've had a couple that really didn't work very good on it...

I used plastic primer for the front cdrom panel and tray doors, and it worked good...

Maybe i'll use just the primer for the tray, becaus it gives a nice gray-metallic color :)
 
AMD[H]unter said:
Shady, that looks great! I love the flames and tribals.

Thanks :)

Glad you like it...

I painted the tray also, and i'll update the pics in a few days when i install the LEDs inside... ;)

Which color of LEDs would be the best for it ?
 
shady said:
Thanks :)

Glad you like it...

I painted the tray also, and i'll update the pics in a few days when i install the LEDs inside... ;)

Which color of LEDs would be the best for it ?
I think red would look awesome
 
shady said:
Thanks :)

Glad you like it...

I painted the tray also, and i'll update the pics in a few days when i install the LEDs inside... ;)

Which color of LEDs would be the best for it ?

Yeah red is your only choice
 
do you plan on leaving it as an external cd rom drive....or do you have a way to mount it to where it is visible?
 
Sesheron said:
do you plan on leaving it as an external cd rom drive....or do you have a way to mount it to where it is visible?

I'll put it inside my case, after i cut a plexy window on the top, so it can be visible from above :)

Can't seem to find red ultra bright LEDs, every store only has the yellow ones :(
I will try to find the red ones, or just try with the yellow, maybe it works out nice ;)
 
Can't find super bright red LED's? Look here - prices are quite reasonable ::: http://superbrightleds.com/leds.htm

Pay particular attention to the luminous intensity (mcd) and viewing angle values.
I have used the 12,000mcd 8 degree red LED and it's like a tiny spotlight.

Nice mod BTW :)
 
Susquehannock said:
Can't find super bright red LED's? Look here - prices are quite reasonable ::: http://superbrightleds.com/leds.htm

Pay particular attention to the luminous intensity (mcd) and viewing angle values.
I have used the 12,000mcd 8 degree red LED and it's like a tiny spotlight.

Nice mod BTW :)

Yeah, but they probably don't ship to Croatia, and even if they do, the s&h fee + our taxes = 10 time more the price, because Croatia is not in the EU...
I'll try to find it here, tnx anyway :)
 
Back
Top