• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CD ROM drives shipped without audio cable?

Stinger1

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 6, 2002
Messages
230
The last three retail cd rom drives I have ordered and one puchased from BB, none had the obligatory audio cable. What's up with that? I had to go to a cable site and purchase several. Is there something I'm missing out on?
 
Most OSes can play CDs digitally these days, no need for an analog cable.
 
Pretty sure windows 98 was the last time you needed that silly interference prone cable.

Throw it out forever and don't look back, you don't need it any longer.
 
The last three retail cd rom drives I have ordered and one puchased from BB, none had the obligatory audio cable. What's up with that? I had to go to a cable site and purchase several. Is there something I'm missing out on?

The year is 2009.
 
As above, most drives these days don't even have the analog header (or the S/PDIF digital one, for that matter).
 
delivers.jpg
 
There wasn't a SATA interface on any of the drives I just bought from Newegg or BB.
 
There wasn't a SATA interface on any of the drives I just bought from Newegg or BB.

Because you bought the wrong ones...

If you click here, this is the CD/DVD Burners section. If you notice on the left hand side, there is 2 categories for IDE and SATA. 15 for IDE and 25 for SATA.
 
So, if using an IDE cable to hook up a NEW cdrom drive into a new computer, you still need the small audio cable(which isn't included anymore?)
 
Futureproof. PATA ports are disappearing from chipsets and motherboards. Plus the cables are a PITA to work with and you don't have to deal with master/slave jumpers.

So to sum up:

Don't buy PATA drives of any sort, and you haven't needed the CD audio cable for about 10 years.
 
ANY advantages to go SATA over IDE???

Yea, no more ugly, hard to work with, space hogging ribbon cables sucking up all the space in your case. Not to mention you will be joining the rest of us with current technology.

Also, there are quite a few enthusiast mobo's that don't even have IDE ports and that will only get more common. They have been dead for years.
 
To be honest I have used IDE optical drives in a couple recent builds to make sure I have sufficient free SATA ports for hard disks. But that's about the only reason I can see for still using it.
 
Thanks, I guess the cd rom drive was never anything I worried about. Now I have been updated. Thanks for the input!
 
Back
Top