• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CD/DVD-ROM Audio Cable

Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
33
Hello,

Really sorry question to have to ask, but are these cables that go from the CD/DVD-ROM to Sound card even necessary anymore. I've been using them for years but never really stopped to think about that. When exactly is it used? Can I just eliminate it entirely and still have the same audio output?

Thanks for any help

Adam
 
Ah the audio cable question...

In simple terms in todays digital processing, the answer is no... You do not need this cable at all.

It was used before to play audio CDs in your PCs, now with Windows XP the audio is transmitted across the IDE bus instead.
 
Thanks -- this is going to be a nice touch in helping to help clean up my cases.

Is this related to the option in Device Manager for Digital Audio or is that different. I'm thinking if it's related I will have to make sure it's checked.

Adam
 
Is this related to the option in Device Manager for Digital Audio or is that different

Yes it is related to digital audio extraction
In fact that is what it's called. :p
 
Mister X said:
Yes it is related to digital audio extraction
In fact that is what it's called. :p

So I would be correct in assuming if I have that turned on everything will function the same as it does with the audio cable and it turned off? Just looking for some backup here.

**goes to try it**

Adam
 
89MustangGX said:
So I would be correct in assuming if I have that turned on everything will function the same as it does with the audio cable and it turned off? Just looking for some backup here.

**goes to try it**

Adam

Basically if you put an audio cd in, with digital audio extraction in WinXP and later, it will use the IDE cable to transmit the audio files for the sound device to process. however if you have it disabled it will try to send an analog signal via the audio cable.

That make it any more clear?
 
UltimaParadox said:
Basically if you put an audio cd in, with digital audio extraction in WinXP and later, it will use the IDE cable to transmit the audio files for the sound device to process. however if you have it disabled it will try to send an analog signal via the audio cable.

That make it any more clear?

Perfect, thanks. Sounds like I have some more cables to remove.

Adam
 
Back
Top