CD Drives not working properly

myt0

n00b
I have a windows xp home edition computer with a 2.0ghz processor and 512mb of ram. Whenever I go to read a CD in either one of my CD drives my cpu goes up to 100% and ends up crashing a few programs while in the process, if my CPU doesnt go all the way up to 100% then the sound will just be distorted and mouse will move very slow and choppy. My first CD drive is a Lite-On LTN486S 48x Max and my other is a SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S. With my SAMSUNG when it burns my computer runs fine and CPU does not spike, sound and mouse are fine. This is my first post so please forgive me for any and all of my n00bishness.

You start off by saying you can't read a CD in either drive, the continue on and say that one drive works.

has the problem only recently started or did it always happen?
Is your computer under warrenty?
Did you change anything prior to the problem starting?
Do you have the same symptoms in safe mode?
Is it with just one CD disk or have you confirmed the problem with multiple disks?

open your computer and check that one CDROM is configured as master and one is slave.
Try running with only one drive plugged in at a time (remember to configure it as master).

I did not once say that CD drives do not work

1) has not always been happening, a few years now. I managed to bare through it all untill a friend pointed me into the direction of Hard Forum
2) Not under warranty
3) nothing that I can recall changed to make this happen
4) Same thing in Safe Mode
5)Every single disk and both drives while reading the disk will do that regardless of how fast I have the CD drive read
6)one is master one is slave and are on a different channel from any hard drives

Tried just one drive still the same problem

If both CD's exhibit the same problem when plugged in one at a time, and the problem also occurs in safe mode, then it sounds like a MB issue. You might consider trying a BIOS update. It would be possible to further test this hypothesis with a bootable Linux CD - here’s a popular one . (I've never actually used one but I hear they're great). Disconnect your HDD, boot to the CD, read with your other CD. If it doesn’t have the same problem then look to the HDD / OS as the cause of your problem. If it doesn't work then its not the HDD / OS.

As I was going down the list of possibilities that could cause my computer to act this way. I noticed my other spare dell tower identical to this one has a 200watt PSU so I figured I would take a look at mine and it in fact was a 200watt PSU. I did the PSU calculator and it said I needed a 227 watt PSU. This all makes since now, I will be getting at least a 300watt PSU very soon.

Back