CD, CDRW, and DVD Rom Connections

icehokplyr

Limp Gawd
I have a CD Rom drive, CDRW drive and a DVD drive all on one machine. Everything is hooked up except the CD Rom drive. I was wondering how to hook this drive up when I only have 2 IDE Connectors on my mother board. One is connected to 2 hard drives and the other to the CDRW and DVD drives. Any suggestions without dropping my integral system performance? Thanks in advance.

...or move to serial ATA hard drives, leaving the IDE ports for optical drives. If your MoBo doesn't have SATA ports, you can buy a controller on a card very reasonably. My system has three optical drives on the IDE ports, in addititon to two SATA hard drives.

It's more money and for sure a ton more work to go this route, but it's one other choice you have.....

If all you want to do is run an optical ROM drive, BillLeeLee's suggestion is probably good advice.

FWIW - B.B.S.

BlindedByScience said:
...or move to serial ATA hard drives, leaving the IDE ports for optical drives. If your MoBo doesn't have SATA ports, you can buy a controller on a card very reasonably. My system has three optical drives on the IDE ports, in addititon to two SATA hard drives.

It's more money and for sure a ton more work to go this route, but it's one other choice you have.....

If all you want to do is run an optical ROM drive, BillLeeLee's suggestion is probably good advice.

FWIW - B.B.S.

Your idea sounds good too. I really don't "need" the CD Rom in there. I have it and want to use it. I may just hang on to the CD rom until I decide to build another computer. Maybe experiment with an Athalon. Thanks for your advice. I appreciate the help from all of you. I am learning alot from this site.

Back