Votes: 2 8.0%
  • CCTs are okay, but UV is played out

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • CCT lighting is so played out it's boring

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

BellaCroix

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering what everyone thought of CCT lighting in a case and what everyone's favorite color was. Will more than likely end up going my own route but I was just curious.

I think lighting (usually, but not exclusively CC) has to be done tastefully to look good. Too often I see case mods with a whole bunch of clashing colors that seem to be included just because they glow. When done well (Mars City mod, anyone?), lighting can add a very nice effect. Maybe they're just being overused--they've showing up in pre-modded cases for a while now, so they don't have the 'wow' factor they used to have.

/me dons flameproof suit
To be frank, there's not a whole lot interesting going on inside a computer case to look at. You have a couple of fans, and everything else kinda sits there. Your video card doesn't shudder when put under sudden load, although that would be kinda cool to see...
/me takes off flameproof suit

I think the case manufacturers have benefitted greatly from the modding world--ideas for better cooling and airflow, better layout, and what makes one case better than another. As these formerly 'extreme' ideas become more mainstream, they lose their geek appeal. I don't imagine seeing CCFLs showing up in mainstream PCs anytime soon (99% of computer users don't care, as long as the computer works), but I've seen too many tacky or unnecessary uses of them. But I love a nice mod with tasteful lighting.

CCT = Closed Circuit Televsion (surveillence caemras and the like)
CCFL = Cold Cathode Flourescent Lighting

As for colors...I've used every color there is. I like them all, especially after the red ones are modded to be red and not pink.

Mmm, depends; for me and my ice-white case, i'd only use blue to glow out of the side fan grills to complete the coloour scheme (no side window) but if you do use a side window, only white can be used without looking shit and tacky

White seems to be a growing like as far as CCFL's go.
I like the way my blue ones look, but I think it has more to do with the fact that they are not dark blue. More like Blue White light!

These were originally white.

PICT0607.JPG

personally case lights are pretty much useless for me since my comp is on the floor and out of sight....but i do have a green glow coming from behind the case from an usb/xbox adapter :)

night0018tm.jpg
:p

BellaCroix said:
Just wondering what everyone thought of CCT lighting in a case and what everyone's favorite color was. Will more than likely end up going my own route but I was just curious.
I like LED lights better myself, they are less garish and harder to make look good in a case mod :) But the premade LED strips are not as uber-geek as rolling your own! That said, the CC lights can be used in a good way, as long as you hide them well and make the glow work to your advantage. I've also seen too many cases with several CC lights which is totally unnecessary and overkill! LEDs also draw MUCH less energy than CC lights..... Important in a SFF case and low-output power supplies.

Back