CCNA

kyl

n00b
I've heard the new test is pretty hard, but someone on the forums said it's mainly subnetting. Which is totally easy.

I've been cramming wtih the Dummies CCNA second edition, and i've already taken semester 1-4 in Cisco's Academy.

Is the hands part a full router configuration? Or small objectives, like install an ACL or RIP.

Any words for advise? Does everyone over react about how hard this test is?

There is a lot more than just subnetting. Routing, serial interface setups, ACLs, etc.

The sims are not complete setups; they were mostly "here's a network, host A can't talk to host C, fix it" and you had to either 'no shut' an interface, or assign a correct IP, or enable a routing protocol, etc.

Ehh, I hated ACL's. Hardest part I had with the class. Damn wildcard mask confused the crap out of me.

From what ive heard the test can vary quite a bit, one person may only get 3-4 questions on subnetting and the next might get 10. As for the router configs that also depends, its usually not a full config just a problem you have to find and fix or something to implement like an ACL or something. Once you feel like you are ready and can pass those practice tests, study a bunch more, its passable but not easy by any means.

-Matt :cool:

In Dummies CCNA editon 2, it came with a cd filled with 300 pratice questions. I pass those without a problem. A couple online practice demo tests have been insanly hard. But i think it's just a marketing scam. To make you feel dumb and that you will buy the software.

Another question, on the hands on part. Can you type stuff like "Config t" instead of configure terminal? -This is on the Prometric test.

kyl said:
Another question, on the hands on part. Can you type stuff like "Config t" instead of configure terminal? -This is on the Prometric test.

yes. you can even see the help menu items.

Shortcuts are pretty much fully allowed now. You can even tab out commands and use the ? mark, which makes it a pretty real world experience.

Lazy_Moron said:
Ehh, I hated ACL's. Hardest part I had with the class. Damn wildcard mask confused the crap out of me.

config#access-list 102 deny tcp 172.16.10.4 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255 23

Not that hard if you can learn them right,

101-200 is extended IP, tcp is using tcp for protocol,

172.16.10.4 0.0.0.0 Is specifically blocking ONLY that IP address.

192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255 means destination is ONLY anything on the 192.168.0.x network

23 is the port number, telnet.

oakfan52 said:
yes. you can even see the help menu items.
Not on my test. It was 'configure terminal' and there was no help menu or command completion.

I took 607. Has it gotten easier? Because having that makes it WAY easier.

I took the 640-801 and passed the first time, I believe you had the tab auto complete with non ambiguous commands and could even use the ?. To all those who think that makes it "too easy" take the CCNA 2.0 (the 2005 edition) and then study for the CCNP...you'll find alot of retreading. I'm kinda dissappointeed the CCNP material doesn't include ATM, I do alot of work with ATM's at my job and have had to google most of the info.

Rabidfox said:
I took the 640-801 and passed the first time, I believe you had the tab auto complete with non ambiguous commands and could even use the ?. To all those who think that makes it "too easy" take the CCNA 2.0 (the 2005 edition) and then study for the CCNP...you'll find alot of retreading. I'm kinda dissappointeed the CCNP material doesn't include ATM, I do alot of work with ATM's at my job and have had to google most of the info.

Though a lot of people may still use ATM, cisco is even dropping it from the CCIE exam starting January of 2006.

Back