CCNA + ?

s0ldier93

Limp Gawd
Hello all-

I have a (military) background in aviation electronics. I graduated from an extended campus (military base) of Embry-Riddle with a 4 year degree and two minors. On a side note, I am only a private pilot. My degree qualifies me for a job in airport management, not 747 piloting. :( I won't get into my electronics based day job for fear of making this a rant.

I will be starting the CCNA classes here ( http://centralgatech.edu/catalog/section6/it.htm Note: check the IT certificates at the bottom) in March. Also, I'm working with just under 1.5 years worth of career changing time. (PM for any needed details on my sob story/strange life) I originally considered using my extra time/money to take the Linux/UNIX classes in parallel for a Linux cert.

I have a 1.5 year ticking clock, a great ability to study, learn, and take tests (Go Navy!!), and an unrelated degree with no IT experience. My question is this: Should I use my extra time and resources on the Linux/UNIX classes or one of the other programs? Maybe the MCSE? Finally, if so encouraged, I could possibly pull off 3 programs.

The results of these classes/certs will be a dramatic career change. I know that I will not start off making top dollar, or even middle dollar given the above information. I'm mostly looking for the most bang for my upcoming time in school.

Interesting. My opinion would be to try to get your foot in the door now. See if you can get a networking position, even if it is part-time. From what I have learned, companies value experience over certifications. If you can go into an interview and say that you have your CCNA, that is good. However, if you can go into an interview and provide your certification, along with a list of all of the real-world situations where you applied your skills, that will be even better.

Also, chance are, if you get into a network position, that the company will want to hang on to you after you prove your worth and get your certs.

I hope this will be at least some help, if any! :)

cburwell-

Chad Burrell here . . . . very interesting. . . . . I will look into part time network work. I've read about the value of experience here. Hopefully I can find something that I can do on the weekends and after work in hell . . . . . I mean at my day job. One plus is that normally get to work at 6:00a.m. to get off around 2:30p.m.. There are several small businesses in my area that might be able to use the help.

I do have an opportunity to take these classes though. My reading has suggests that CCNA is the best "foot in the door" cert. I may attempt that, the Linux one, and the MSCE. I've done more than 3 classes a semester in the past. I imagine it will help that I can take the CCNA in two parts. I guess I'm really wondering if there is anything else on that list that would help me more than MCSE or Linux.

Not really. Its the combination of certs that gets you in.

A MCSE and a CCNA coupled is a very good starting point. Its the combination that makes you worthwhile to companies. Also remember, the bigger the city you are in the more opportunities for someone new to IT services.

Treyshadow-

Thank you for the advice. I'm begining to wonder if the Linux/UNIX class will be worth being in the top 2 of what I need to take. I will probably squeeze it in as a third when I can though.

Not really. Its the combination of certs that gets you in.

A MCSE and a CCNA coupled is a very good starting point. Its the combination that makes you worthwhile to companies. Also remember, the bigger the city you are in the more opportunities for someone new to IT services.

I disagree. Medium to large corporations have compartmentalized networks and staff. And MCSE and CCNA may get you into either/or, and don't mean you'll get either. A better way to explain this would be to have multiple MS certs if you try for the job in the server shop, and multiple Cisco certs if you're trying to get the job in the network administration shop. Basically apples and oranges. Now for smaller business, then yeah, go for both since a lot of functions and offices are dual-roled. From where I'm standing I see the pendulum swinging again. It started at specialization, then they wanted jack of all trades, and now its moving towards jack-of-all-trades, but specialized in one or two subsections of IT. For example, some companies really do want the MSCE/CCNA combo types, but they want you specialized in one or the other. Having the other certs, in their eyes, means you're proficient in other areas and aren't a one-shot wonder. That's where I see things going anyway. Other specializations are SAN, Security, VoIP, and NAC.

BobSutan-

I see your point. From what you are saying, I should go with MSCE and CCNA for now, then move on to the other Cisco certs. (CCNP/CCVP). Is that right?

BobSutan-

I see your point. From what you are saying, I should go with MSCE and CCNA for now, then move on to the other Cisco certs. (CCNP/CCVP). Is that right?

Well, that depends. What sort of job are you looking for exactly? What are your career plans?

I disagree. Medium to large corporations have compartmentalized networks and staff. And MCSE and CCNA may get you into either/or, and don't mean you'll get either.
QFT. The larger the company, the more "specialized" a position would be and the smaller your scope of duties generally would be.

BobSutan-

After a few months of reading in different places and gathering information, I think I like the Cisco path. It seems to have the most options as far as careers go. And I've become interested in their voice technology recently. I also think I can work hard enough to eventually get to the CCIE level as well.

I am keeping in that I am a beginner making a downward move from a completely different industry. So my thoughts right now are mostly, "what letters will get me into the door well enough to afford rent (moving at the end of that 1.5 years) and food until I can advance?"

Blitzrommel-

Got it. Thank you (and everyone) for the clarification and help so far. My family and I have decided that it's time for us to go leave where we are. We will be looking for a new start in Florida (close "enough" to family in Louisiana) soon.

Got it. Thank you (and everyone) for the clarification and help so far. My family and I have decided that it's time for us to go leave where we are. We will be looking for a new start in Florida (close "enough" to family in Louisiana) soon.

I seriously wish I could move, but I just have too many ties here. Meh :)

I know what you mean. I was forced to cut all mine when I moved here, (Warner Robins, GA) from Virgina Beach, VA. I'm hoping to restart in the upper part of Florida.

I'll literally be starting over. But as long as I can afford rent, food for the family, and a few flight hours a month, I'll be happy. Actually happy.

Looking at the cost of the MCSE, I'm beginning to wonder is I should either go MCSA or just stick with the Linux/UNIX admin classes I was considering.

Looking at the cost of the MCSE, I'm beginning to wonder is I should either go MCSA or just stick with the Linux/UNIX admin classes I was considering.

Think of it this way. MCSE is like a commodity cert. Everyone uses Windows so everyone gets MS certs. However, because EVERYONE gets MS certs you're 1 amongst many. You get the Linux/Unix cert and your job pool will be smaller, but the pay is often a good deal more because of it being a niche market and not as many people being qualified/certified. That said, Linux/Unix is gaining ground in the enterprise, especially wherever developers are located. It seems like just about everyone codes on Linux or SUN nowadays.

BobSutan-

I think I will go for CCNA + Linux. Do you think A+ and Network + are critical components to getting a a foot in the door as well? Are the considered standard, or do people get by without them?

It depends what you want to do. If you want to do networking engineering and administration I would go for the CCNA and or CCNP, CCSP, CCDP and maybe network+. A+ is more for being PC tech sys admin, MCSE is basics needed for being a MS based system admin.

plasma-

Thank you for the advice. I've decided that the CCNA was a definite. My questions mostly revolve around what I (being a career changer with no IT experience) should get to go with it. I've all but decided in the *nix admin stuff.

edit: I think I get the point the A+ is only needed for direct support work.

You're MSCE will tie in nicely once you're done with your CCNA. I believe it's exam 70-294 has some topcs like subnetting, routing and planning your IP scheme.

That's all covered in your CCNA so it should all click mentally when you get into that.

I disagree. Medium to large corporations have compartmentalized networks and staff. And MCSE and CCNA may get you into either/or, and don't mean you'll get either. A better way to explain this would be to have multiple MS certs if you try for the job in the server shop, and multiple Cisco certs if you're trying to get the job in the network administration shop. Basically apples and oranges. Now for smaller business, then yeah, go for both since a lot of functions and offices are dual-roled. From where I'm standing I see the pendulum swinging again. It started at specialization, then they wanted jack of all trades, and now its moving towards jack-of-all-trades, but specialized in one or two subsections of IT. For example, some companies really do want the MSCE/CCNA combo types, but they want you specialized in one or the other. Having the other certs, in their eyes, means you're proficient in other areas and aren't a one-shot wonder. That's where I see things going anyway. Other specializations are SAN, Security, VoIP, and NAC.

From where I stand, I see things converging more and more. Networking guys need to know server applications because application-aware networking is growing big time. Cisco really likes people with Microsoft experience. In fact, some job postings at Cisco (including field engineer roles) state that an MCSE is preferred. Partly because Call Manager, Unity, and a bunch of the stuff that goes with it runs on Windows. And also because Microsoft is about to enter the IP Telephony market in a big way. Then again, Cisco also likes people with Linux experience too :). MCSE wouldn't be a bad thing to have if you actually have some tangible experience with the stuff, and arent a paper MCSE. But Bob's right, you do need to specialize. Having that knowledge of server stuff is certainly not going to hurt you, though. In general, you should strive to know a little about a lot, and be an expert in a couple things.

Back