CCNA Lab Advice

Rob23

n00b
I was wondering if any of you that have gone throught the CCNA / CCNP could give me some advice with regards to the CCNA lab I'm trying to construct.

I have decided that I would like to get 4 routers and 2 switches my lab. They are:

(1) 2520 Router - (possibly used as frame relay switch)
(1) 2503 Router - (for ISDN capabilities)
(2) 2501 Routers

(1) 1924 Switch

Ebay has a "ready-to-go" lab that contains all of these here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28033&item=5752990098&rd=1

My questions are:
Is this a good deal?
Will I need a 2514 router (with 2 ethernet interfaces) in order to run ethernet from my cable modem to 1 of the cisco routers?
Since I only have 1 dynamic IP address from my ISP, will I need to purchase more for all of the cisco routers? do they need to be static? Can I get by, using 1 ip address for my whole cisco lab?

Thank You for your help,

Rob

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can do what you want, but those routers and that switch are old. There are commands that the 2500 series routers don't have the the 2600+ series does.

The same goes for the 1924. I realize cost is a factor. You can learn on the old stuff, but what is in the books won't match up and there will be things on the test for model specific switches routers. I believe they are into the 2900 series now.

Sure, 2600's would be nice, but those routers go for over $200 each on ebay.

I had 1 2514 and 2 2501's in my lab, 2 3 ft DTE/DCE cables for doing frame relay (using the 2514 as a Frame Relay Switch), and the appropriate AUI adapters and a console cable. Recently, I picked up a pair of Catalyst 1924's with Fiber uplinks for $50 each.

With this lab, I had absolutely no problems setting up anything. I used the 3 routers in different configs, with different routing protocols, set up Access-Lists, and played with other stuff, as well as using the 2514 as a NAT router for my home DSL connection.

I really dont think there can be much gained for the CCNA test by getting 2600's. I'm taking a class for the CCNP:BSCI and can see where larger routers will be required, but not for the CCNA.

Rob: In my opinion, the 2503 will be worthless. ISDN does little good for you without having ISDN service to play with as well. The 2520 will work as a frame switch, but you wont be able to do a hell of a lot more with it. I'd scrap it and get a 2514. The 1924 will be fun to play with as well, but get two if you want to do anything like port trunking, etc.

Also, to answer your last questions, a 2514 is ideal for running a home DSL/Cable connection. 1 port connects to the "modem" and the other to the network. You could do the same with 2 2501's, linking them over serial, but that'd be more for just learning than practicality. As for your IPs, does your lab need to be accessible to the internet? When I set up my lab, it was just that: a lab. I played with it and if i broke a config, it affected nothing outside of it. IMO, that's the way to go.

Also dont discount the use of simulator software. I know it's fun to get your hands on the real stuff, but the simulators are pretty damn close. I got work to by me the Boson CCNA kit. It's not cheap. about $150, but it was a very nice tool to be able to practice when I was away from the lab. And if you liked the simulator, you might not need to buy all that equipment. And just remember, when you go to take the test, it's just a simulator that you will be configuring anyway.

Just my 2 cents.... :)

I would say that kit is overpriced.
I used simulator software for my CCNA, and it was a good deal. If you plan to just get your CCNA I would say go with some sim software. If you are going to get your CCNP, which I am working on right now, you might as well buy some hardware.

I have spent about 600 bucks, possibly a little more, and here is what I have. I may add a little more later.

1 2514 Router with 2 ethernet tranceivers
1 4000 Modular router with 2 ethernet ports and 4 serial interfaces
1 Cat 5502 with a Sup II and WS-X5225R module (does etherchannel)
2 1924's
1 2912

2 DCE/DTE Cables
20 5 ft ethernet patch cables

Nybbles,

Thank you for making these recommendations. I am fairly new to cisco and so it is hard to anticipate what I will need in order to learn the material.

From what gather, I need to probably obtain 2 switches, 1900 series +
and probably about 3 to 4 routers
possibly a router with ISDN capability (if i get an ISDN simulator)

My lab definately doesn't need to be accessible to the Internet, but I am still a little confused as to how you setup ip addressing for the routers.

Did you just use all internal, static Ip addresses that were from the same subnet?

I guess the way I picture it is:
- Cable Modem to my Linksys Router (192.168.1.1)
- Linksys Router to Ethernet adapter on router (router will get static 192.168.x.x number)
- 2nd Ethernet Adapter on router to 1924 switch
- All other routers plug into switch and will get static 192.168.x.x number)

Am I picturing this correctly?
I realize that I could take the Linksys out of the picture, but it is the router I depend on to run my home network and if I could use it to hand off addressing to the equipment in my cisco lab, I would feel better (in case I screw something up like you said - my home network wouldn't be down)....

Thank again,

Rob

I used just two routers, a 2501 and a 1601-R. Both are sort old, but for the basic commands that you'll be doing, they'll be fine. I didn't use a Cisco switch in my CCNA lab, and don't think they are really needed if you have used one before; most of the CCNA questions were about routers and routing, with (from what I remember) only theory questions on switches (whats diff between store-and-foward and cut-thru, etc).

What hardware you need for your lab depends greatly on how far up the certification chain you want to go. Two years ago I just needed the basics (1900, 2500's) but it's grown to include (1) 1600's, (2) 1700's, (6) 2500's, (2) 2600's and several switches from 1900's all the way up to a 6509 (loaner from work). CCNP exams expect you to have hands on with multiple and high end platforms, so if thats your goal then best start collecting.

I will tell you that if your aim is to invest in hardware you can grow with, then avoid 1900/2500 series hardware and look instead to a 1720 or 1750 (router) and a 2924 or 2950 (switch). The command set and support is waning for the older platforms and the 1700 series (for the most part) can use WIC's that are compatible with 2600 series and above modular routers.

Just my take on it.

Rob23 said:
My lab definatelydoesn't need to be accessible to the Internet, but I am still a little confused as to how you setup ip addressing for the routers.

Did you just use all internal, static Ip addresses that were from the same subnet?

I guess the way I picture it is:
- Cable Modem to my Linksys Router (192.168.1.1)
- Linksys Router to Ethernet adapter on router (router will get static 192.168.x.x number)
- 2nd Ethernet Adapter on router to 1924 switch
- All other routers plug into switch and will get static 192.168.x.x number)

A lot of what you will probably be doing wont require your computer to have a network connection to the router.... typically you will set up configs on the routers using TOTALLY different network addresses and then set up and verify that the routes are propogating. And you'll do this through the console cable typically and not the ethernet ports.

Usually, I choose addresses in the 10, 172.16-31, or 192.168 range, as these are reserved for private networks. Really, you can choose what u want cuz, like i said, u probably wont be connecting your lab to your home network. I made it a point NOT to unless I wanted to ping out the the net or something, at which time one NIC on the 2514 was set to DHCP to pull an address on the local network.

Does that make sense? :)

The beauty of IOS and a cheap router is that you can get a feature-set that works on all routers (assuming the 2500's you have contain 16MB of flash). The switches however may not help you that much... switching for the CCNA is light and focuses mainly on spanning tree, vtp domains, and theoretical issues like that. Personally I would not worry about the switches, as you will not be able to afford an enterprise class switch that are actually used.

Ya, I am finding out that CCNP only cares about IOS on the switches, and not CatOS. Sup III or Sup IVs to run IOS are out of my price range :(

Nybbles,

I think I understand now what you are saying....

I will be able to configure the routers within thier respective consoles and they will communicate with each other without the presence of the Internet. I should be able to setup differnent static WAN IP addresses for each of the serial interfaces on every router using any private IP address scheme I want (10, 176, 192.168.x.x). I then can use crossover cables between the serial interfaces in order to get the routers to talk to each other. (almost like a t-1 point-to-point link in between routers in the real world). Is this correct? or do people usually connect all of the LAN interfaces of the routers to the switch and let them talk that way? my guess would be no since routers don't usually use ethernet to connect to each other.

When experimenting with the routers, the switch will only come into play if I need to connect nodes to 1 particular router. Otherwise, most experimenting with swiching will be done with 2 switches. I know I probably will understand why in the future (as I am just getting started with CCNA), but I have heard that the experimenting includes stuff like trunking and VLANS.

Am I conceptualizing this correctly?

Setting up this Cisco home lab as non-Internet accessible was / is a hard concept for me to grasp because all of the small home networks I have used have always used the Internet by means of grabbing an Wan Ip and dhcping it through a router to the rest of the nodes on the network. I have never sat on or created a network that didn't use the internet and so it is hard for me to clearly distinguish between the two seperate "concepts" (for a lack of a better word). I know networks can exist without the presence of the internet, as I have setup workgroups and used them, but they have always worked in conjunction with the internet so I have always logically associated the 2 together.

Thanks again,

I always appreciate advice from you veterans.

Rob

Yeah, sounds like you understand now. Most of the labs for routing and such will have you set up 3 different networks... say 172.16.0.0, 172.17.0.0, 172.18.0.0 and you're mainly worried about communication and routing between those networks.... so yeah, your LAN will have nothing to do with it. :)

And as far as switches go, I wish I would have spent more time studying about VLAN's, Trunking and such.... as when I went to take the CCNA exam, one of my simulation questions was about configuring VTP between two switches. I did manage to get it working in the end, but it was something I only kinda read about and never really did a lot, so it was more difficult than it should have been.

Rob23, so after you get this lab equipment, how are you going about studying? Are you taking a CCNA class? Or just teaching yourself? If you're teaching yourself, I'd recommend a good set of books. I used this book.... you might run that ISBN number through Amazon or BN.com or whatever and see if it's any cheaper. I think I paid about $50-60 in the store... but me and a friend both used those books. They are pretty damn good in my opinion.

Nybbles,

I actually am taking a 6 month night class so I am enrolled in the Cisco Acadamy. In additon to the online curriculum, I bought a Sybex book that is pretty good. Although I will probably get some time on the routers and switches in class, I would like to buy my own to accelerate my learning. I'm hoping these resources will be enough for me to pass my CCNA and to help me build a foundation that I can use for my CCNP. I have a feeling that I will probably need my CCNP as I will be working in a datacenter environment that is decked out in cisco gear.

Thanks again for the suggestions and the advice,

Rob

I did my CCNA and CCNP with Boson NetSim and a few cbt nuggets. IMHO Boson is hands down the way to go over buying used junk off of Fleabay. By far and away what has helped me the most is the experience I get here at work. I am lucky enough to have a Cisco 12000 and a couple of 6500's and 7200's to play around with in our lab here at work. Not to mention all the production equipment I support

Plan on taking my CCIE written and lab later this year. Good luck and please feel free to hit me up with any questions or problems you have along the way!

millhouse said:
I did my CCNA and CCNP with Boson NetSim and a few cbt nuggets. IMHO Boson is hands down the way to go over buying used junk off of Fleabay.

I personally liked Boson only if I had no other option since the commands didn't always match what I was seeing with the actual hardware (not allowing for abbrevations on all of the commands).

I used the Boson NetSims for CCNA and I have to say I was quite impressed. They did a pretty good job, in my opinion, of mimicking the behavior of a router. You could easily use the NetSim, and the Lab Excercises that come with it, to get the hands on for the CCNA easily.

On the other hand, I understand the desire to get ur hands on the goods. I had both, bought some routers on eBay, and got work to buy me the Boson CCNA/CCNP kit. Honestly, I found myself using the Boson Sims more for practice as I was learning, and later setting up different configs on the actual hardware after I was confident in how to achieve what I wanted to.

But if ur on a budget, the NetSims are definately the way to go.

I just started studying for the CCNA myself this past week and I am looking to build a lab. Here's some things I learned and will pass on to you.

A minimum you need three routers and one switch (so simulate actual scenarios). Two lan routers and one to act as a WAN or Frame relay. I'd suggest getting two 2520 routers and any oher 2500 series you want. Going with two 2520's will save you allot since they are loaded with multiple serial ports (for frame relay type scenarios), ISDN and ethernet. Why buy many routers when you can get one with all the interfaces, right? With these two alone youll be able to learn most of the protocols on the CCNA. The third router woud be used so you can get more involved scenario practice It doesn't matter what series it is. I'd go cheap and just get a 2501. The switch is to learn basic switching of course and the switch commands. You should go with a 2916 or 1912 switch. Both are pretty cheap.

So you should get two routers at first (2520's to cover ISDN, basic routing configuration, ethernet and FR etc), then get the switch when you start to cover switching related topics. Get the third router at any time you start doing more complex labs usually when there are two routers separated by a "cloud". This is where one of your 2520's would act as the cloud or central frame relay. Also note that when you are learning ISDN, when you set up a labs you are going to need an ISDN connection or simulator. Worry about crossing that bridge when you get to it.

As for the question about the 2514. It could be set up like that. You could also set up the two 2520's where your modem connects to the ethernet port on router one, router one is connected to router two via serial, and your computer/switch is connected to the ethernet on router two.

I do advise that you don't set up your routeres where if they go down, you loose internet connection. You should span them out where they won't harm anything until you are at the level where you know what you're doing.

Malk-a-mite said:
I personally liked Boson only if I had no other option since the commands didn't always match what I was seeing with the actual hardware (not allowing for abbrevations on all of the commands).

The reason you didnt see all the shortcut commands allowed is because you really should know the whole command before trying to get things done "at the speed of light"

millhouse said:
The reason you didnt see all the shortcut commands allowed is because you really should know the whole command before trying to get things done "at the speed of light"

[sarcasm]
Oh really?
How long did it take you to learn "write terminal" vs. "wr t"?
[/sarcasm]

Besides - it should simulate the enviroment - not just the parts it likes.

Back