CCNA=DONE!!!

Destonomos

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got back and passed the CCNA with a 832. I'm so glad to have this done with now. Three months of studying finally paid off :).

What did that test require to pass? (score wise ) I'm currently in a course for it now

Congrats, man! I'm working on the same. Put it off until July, though. I'm ready, but I have 3 Microsoft vouchers that need used by June, so I'm knocking those out first. Then my CCNA will be done right after.

Congrats!

Woo! By the skin of your teeth, man(mine said 825 was the passing score). Good job.

Grats man, that shit isn't easy. I just finished 20 weeks of it and I still feel lost. Thank goodness I'm looking to go into administration rather than engineering ;)

Thanks guys and yeah I passed by the skin of my teeth. The test is NOT easy. Funny things is the lab sim parts I did in under 5 mins each and I had 3 on my exam... The MC questions are what were hard for me. Application of NAT and ACL's and applying protocols to the router are simple for me.

I agree; with the way some of the MC questions are worded, it can be very tricky.

I've been told it gets harder each year. That's probably a good thing though. Whatever you do, stay in it and don't assume that all that know-how will still come naturally if you don't use it regularly! I took all 8 semesters of NA/NP but there is no way in Hades I could configure BGP right now unless I did some major reviewing!

I had to use nearly all the time allowed to complete my CCNA. The MC are worded terribly and they really are "gotcha!" questions. No other vendor tests I've taken are as hard as the CCNA. Great jorb!

grats on the pass. if you think ccna was a pain wait until you try ccnp lol. its a huge leap. 4 courses i believe. im going to a tech school where alot are doing a plus and cisco classes. at least ccna is one test ccnp is 4 if i recall.

Each CCNP test is more specific than the CCNA. The CCNA covers such a broad area that many people believe that each individual CCNP test is easier than the CCNA.

i think a+ is the same way. covers such a broad area can be a challenge to study for. even though the test is broken down into sections.

Yep, I'll agree with that. A+ was a pain in the ass. Luckily you can learn most of it by accident while working an entry level computer repair job.

Desto, I've been studying for my CCNA too. Congrats on the pass! Awesome job, man.

I was curious, what test prep materials did you use? I've personally been reading Todd Lammle's CCNA Study Guide from Sybex. It's one of the best tech books I've read, hands down. It's informative, easy to read, and very in depth. Do you think it would be possible to pass the test without having any direct experience with a Cisco 1841 or 2600 (?) router? Using an IOS simulator perhaps?

Desto, I've been studying for my CCNA too. Congrats on the pass! Awesome job, man.

I was curious, what test prep materials did you use? I've personally been reading Todd Lammle's CCNA Study Guide from Sybex. It's one of the best tech books I've read, hands down. It's informative, easy to read, and very in depth. Do you think it would be possible to pass the test without having any direct experience with a Cisco 1841 or 2600 (?) router? Using an IOS simulator perhaps?

You don't really need hardware to pass any of the CCNA or CCNP tests, you can find software to emulate the things you need to know. I would recommend actually finding real hardware to practice on eventually though, as the whole point in getting these certs is to show you know how to configure and setup a Cisco network.

You don't really need hardware to pass any of the CCNA or CCNP tests, you can find software to emulate the things you need to know. I would recommend actually finding real hardware to practice on eventually though, as the whole point in getting these certs is to show you know how to configure and setup a Cisco network.

I agree on the CCNA, but I think hardware is huge with the NP. My 3550s came in handy big time with the BCMSN. You could get away with Dynamips on the BSCI and maybe ISCW, probably most of ONT too.

I've passed the BCMSN, BSCI, and ONT tests without touching physical hardware, although I don't recommend it.

Vito, how much did you pay for your 3550s? Any recommendations on where to get them?

I got mine from Ebay for around $300 each. You can find them cheaper sometimes if you use auctions and snipe. I'm lazy and I usually just go for BINs.

Did you use Dynamips with the switch module to practice BCMSN stuff?

Our vendor-led training had equipment that we could telnet into for a few days, but I don't even think that really helped me much. I honestly believe that just reading the Cisco Press books and possibly hitting a few other guides will get you past all of those tests. Now, again, I'm not suggesting that, because you want to be familiar with the equipment, not just the theory.

Unfortunately, I'm being forced to bust out these certs so quickly that I don't have a lot of time to practice on the hardware. So for the most part it's reading Cisco Press books and the vendor books then going to take the exams.

Congrats on the CCNA. I took mine back in 2002 (took the Academy classes to prepare). I felt that test was harder than my CCNP or CCDP or CCVP, because of the breadth. Back then you had to know IPX, Token Ring, ISDN BRI, X.25, Frame-Relay, and a bunch of other outdated technologies.

I bought three 2500 series routers and a 1900 series switch prior to taking the test. They did help, but it was hard to find lab guides (at that time) that were inexpensive.

I would recommend using Dynamips (my preference GNS3) for an inexpensive replacement for a router (you can even run CallManager Express!). As far as switching, Dynamips is lacking for obvious reasons. Switches utilize ASICs to perform QoS and other technologies, so Dynamips cannot emulate this hardware. Many switch platforms simply cannot perform certain technologies (for example many low end Cisco switches cannot do ISL trunking). Others QoS queues are PHYSICALLY limited to the hardware on the switch.

I have a 3560 and a 2950 in my home lab. I have the small 8 port version of the 3560 which was still about 400 dollars (I worked for a Cisco Gold Partner). They have an education credit where each partner can buy gear for 70% off of list. The 2950 was about 90 dollars (we had an outlet center) and I bought some 7941 IP phones for about 40 each.

I am a little leary about Ebay, because there were merchants selling fake GBICs and other Cisco parts on there. Otherwise, cisco will sell refurbished equipment to people also. You should be able to get that about 50% off of list.

congrats on passing i need to restudy again and try it once more. Didnt do so hot the first time prolly cause i stayed up almost for 3 days straight reviewing and not enough sleep.

I only took an hour to do the exam too. I don't see why people have trouble with time on the exam. Maybe its because the application side of the test I breezed through. I got 100% on all areas that actually had me put commands and do stuff in the router. The multiple choices are what screwed with me.

I used the cisco self study guide, GNS3 to learn commands and whatnot, and shadikov IT forums

Now I need a job. I'm moving to st. louis because my fiancee lives there and I need to find one so I can afford the move. :( SOMEONE HIRE ME!

hey desto, i interviewed with a company called Datotel (www.datotel.com) in St Louis. They're supposedly always looking for guys(and gals ofc) who fit their team. Sounded like a great place to work for, but after 4 phone interviews which I did well, I never heard from them again...strange, but I wasn't exactly finished with school either....anyway, good luck.

hey desto, i interviewed with a company called Datotel (www.datotel.com) in St Louis. They're supposedly always looking for guys(and gals ofc) who fit their team. Sounded like a great place to work for, but after 4 phone interviews which I did well, I never heard from them again...strange, but I wasn't exactly finished with school either....anyway, good luck.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check them out.

edit: Thanks for the tip they have an office in ofallon (where I want to live) and have a position open that looks to fit exactly what I need (I over qualify :) )

Grats on getting your CCNA! I too am working on the CCNA, and the BSCI as well, I hope to take/pass them both in a week or two.

Back