CCFL/Neon lights for desk??

Compuwiz

Limp Gawd
I have only seen one desk with this, and I am guessing he made it custom. I saw a picture of his workstation on this site in the "post your workstation" thread, but cant remember where it is.

I basically want the same kind of light as that of CCFL/Neon, but with AC input that you can plug into a wall. The same kind of light that is used for car underbody lights or case modding.

Here is my workstation:
desk.jpg

I want the area behind my desk to light up, like a soft red glow.

Any suggestions on where I can get this?
Preferably 2 12" CCFL with wall power outlet inputs.

If I do not put it behind my desk, I am going to put it underneath my bed which is semi-lofted and have the glow shine down.

I had blue and purple neon's under my old desk. I powered them off of an old 350 watt computer powersupply. I extended the green and one of the black wires on the motherboard connector and attached them to a switch. When I wanted the neon on all I had to do is flick that one switch. I'm sure you could do the same thing with ease.

My friend took one of those red rope lights and ran it under his bed, it gave an awesome glow and looked like demons were about to spill forth. I bet you could do the same for your desk.

Go to walmart, they have what you need. Buy a couple of fluorescent lighting fixtures, and a couple of colored bulbs or white bulbs with gels, will be way brighter then your case mod lights!

d00d - put the uv ones under your desk and u could tan ur legs while you work ;) heh
(not really would need to be uvb or uva - but thought it was worth a laugh)

svc currently has dual 12" reds for ~$3

So I'd imagine 5 of those for $15 would look pretty good. That's 10ft of lighting, or 5ft of brighter lighting.

I ordered an AC to 4pin molex power supply wall plug in, 2 15" Red CCFLs with sound activation so it can blink to my bass, and a 4 pin molex Y adapter.

Im going to put it behind my desk first, see what that looks like, and if its cool enough, I might do the same thing but for under my bed.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Any other neat ideas to liven up a college dorm would be good.

I'm using the PSU from my old computer and soldered wires together.

Then went to Radio Shack to get a switchbox and a switch.

Where's STRESSTEST? He'd be a great help with this.

Use some old Christmas lights ;)

Staple gun them along the back of the desk and plug into a power strip. Ghetto? Yes

it works well though. :cool:

i just use a blacklight that i got like 5 years ago and it sits under my monitor where my keyboard is so i can see to type late at night when it is almost pitch black.

Here's what it looks like with the lights on:
desk1.jpg

Lights off:
desk2.jpg

desk3.jpg

It also flashes to music and can adjust the sensitivity. I made a video but was too big to upload.

It is soooo worth the $33 bucks!
Enjoy.

there u go... now put on some Barry White and you'll be gettin some. awwww yeah. heh.. :D

i made a light fixture out of cathodes and it was like $45 sumthin but its SOOOO cool i have every color except UV and it sets the mood great. Awsome project and well done

Seems like just adding lights to the case isn't enough anymore, the desk has to be tripped out also.

Now I know and knowing is half the battle!

edit: W00T 512 posts I am a GAWD now!

Majin said:
Seems like just adding lights to the case isn't enough anymore, the desk has to be tripped out also.

Now I know and knowing is half the battle!

edit: W00T 512 posts I am a GAWD now!

STRESSTEST and I got into the thing first in this forum, I believe. He is definately my superior. I bow down to him (he even supplied me with the green CCFLs) =0)

atom said:
Go to walmart, they have what you need. Buy a couple of fluorescent lighting fixtures, and a couple of colored bulbs or white bulbs with gels, will be way brighter then your case mod lights!

or a local electronics store.

Holy zombie thread
eek.gif

Nice idea fyshawk but I would have gone for another color on them lights. But hey whatever works!

i did this type of thing. i really like it becasue they light are WHITE.

twitchee2

twitchee2

i cut the molex wire in half and added about 4ft of just regualar wire to it and then ran it out of the back of my case, then connected to a controller...it works, it easy

Back