CCFL humming?

blink182prj

Weaksauce
So I just bought my first CCFLs (Sunbeams in Logisys packaging) and I'm a little worried. One of the CCFLs hums when it is on. It's not the inverter, it's the light itself. Is this a problem? Should I RMA it? The noise really isn't an issue, it's very soft, but I'm afraid the light is bad. Thanks for your help.

if the light is bright enough, the humming is no big deal...because it may have a shorter life (as all 5 of my ccfls do not humm) i would rma it IF AND ONLY IF you can do it completely free of charge...if not, then just buy another one...you can get 2 for around 5 bucks now a days so its no ball breaker

Sometimes that hum is a poorly soldered end on the tube and the AC voltage arching to make contact. This makes a lot of heat and will burn. Try bending the wire right where it goes into the clear end cap of the bulb in all directions to see if it is intermittent

SarverSystems said:
Experience.

LOL, its soo true, tap it, wiggle it, or reseat it, the 3 things to try when some piece of hardware doesnt work on a computer

Back