CCENT exam

kwmarc

Limp Gawd
Has anyone taken the new CCENT course offered by Cisco? Before I went around and jumped into the new CCNA I thought I would take the CCENT and see how the exam is. I just finished reading through a whole book on a variety of topics for the course and I was interested to see if anyone has taken that exam yet. What did you think of the exam? How did you prepare? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Also, I only have a Cisco 2611XM at my disposal right at the moment. I think it would be fine for the CCENT but anything beyond the CCNA I think I might need a couple switch and/or a another router.

I took it over a year ago when getting my CCNA. I don't remember too much about it, I do remember that you didn't have to know much. It's mostly just fundamentals and a little bit of config, basic stuff like the difference between exec and global config, etc. I think you have to know RIP config a little too.

I took it over a month ago after studying intensely for 3 weeks 1-2 hours a day---got a 902/1000, minimum passing score of 804 is needed.

I will say make sure you know the path of a frame from 1 hop to another and how the MAC/IP addresses get used on each hop. Out of 40 questions I also had 6-8 simulation questions where they gave you a scenario and expect you to troubleshoot the network with 'show' commands (in other words know all the 'show' command cold). Know RIP routing and how to configure it, some wireless, switch security, Frame Relay (ie: DLCI's). Oh and subnetting will probably be the hardest concept to grasp at first but, once you have it down expect to be able to subnet in your head in ~20 seconds...Very fun.

I used Packet Tracer 5 and a 2611, 2950, and two 2552's for real hands on work.

You had all that just for the CCENT? Jesus. I remember it being pretty eash, but it doesn't sound like it from your post, lol.

Yep everything I mentioned was on my CCENT test. For study material I recommend SYBEX CCENT book by TOdd Lammle. That book had everything I needed except the in depth frame relay stuff. Lammle only mentions alittle about frame relay in the book but, the test expects you to know DLCI's, and all the 'show frame relay XXX' commands to figure out what path a frame/packet will take over a frame relay link.

If you can get a hold of CBT Nuggets they are also high recommended.

Like all exams the amount of success is directly linked to the amount of preparation you give to the material. Good luck.

Could you perhaps give an example of a CCENT sub netting question? In my CCNA books, sub netting is obviously a big topic and some of the questions can get a little difficult. I am assuming on CCENT they give you a block of addresses (ex. 160.254.101.167/27 ) and then expect you to come up with the network id, block of addresses, broadcast id, etc using boolean AND logic or come up with it in your head. I could be completely wrong on this but any help will do.

Without giving too much away, be ready to subnet on questions that don't openly ask for it. Subnetting could be only part of the answer that needs to be worked out. Think word problems.

Back