CCENT/CCNA [H] study group

Question of the day:

Code:
Choose three types of encapsulation commonly supported on the serial interfaces of Cisco routers which are used to facilitate WAN connectivity via leased lines.

a.  Token Ring
b.  PPP
c.  CDDI
d.  FDDI
e.  Frame-relay
f.  HDLC
g.  HIPPI
Of these three choices, name the default.

Question of the day:

Code:
Choose three types of encapsulation commonly supported on the serial interfaces of Cisco routers which are used to facilitate WAN connectivity via leased lines.

a.  Token Ring
b.  PPP
c.  CDDI
d.  FDDI
e.  Frame-relay
f.  HDLC
g.  HIPPI

two types are PPP and HDLC. HDLC is the default

I am unsure about the 3rd type?

Frame relay.

Edit: Nvm me, only now figured it was a test, not a question... Anyway, is this still in ccna?

I'm interested in this thread. I'm currently studying for my MCITP 70-640 exam, but my networking knowledge needs updating. Took the CCNA classes years ago in college but it's been about 7 years since then. Also need to learn more about IPv6. :)

Question of the day:

Name three types of tunnels commonly used in an IPv4 to IPv6 network transition.

Hint: If you are using Windows 7 two of them are probably running right now on your computer.

good luck to everyone who is pursuing to get their cisco certs!

I actually just passed my CCNA exam yesterday. (I did the ICND1 and 2 route) This study group would've been helpful for my studies.

This is a great idea. Even just an IRC channel or something would be pretty neat.

Yes you need to be competent in CIDR/VLSM/subnetting. It's basically all the same subject. There is nothing "classful" about modern networks but they may try to throw a curve ball in there on a question. You simply need to know how all of it works.

edit: it looks like VLSM is on the CCNA but not specifically listed in the blueprint for the CCENT so if you are just taking ICND1 you can probably just gloss over it for now... in reality it's a critical skill you must have though

heh kinda depressed now, seems like a lot of people getting into networking.

It may seem like it because this is the networking section of a forum that computer enthusiast socialize on but believe me there isn't enough Network Analyst/Engineers out there and it gets harder once you go pass CCNA, and get into other areas i.e. wireless, security, voice or even try achieve the CCIE.

It's interesting that you mention this because I've seen a similar trend throughout most certification/educational endeavours.
Half of the logic that drive persons these days is that "Oh, this looks like it'll be good on my resume" or "Everyone else is doing it, why can't I?". :rolleyes:

But, when the pressure kicks in and they realize that it's too difficult to pursue or entirely different from their overall goal, they drop out. I've seen CompTIA and even full university DB classes dwindle down like if there's some infectious disease in the classroom :p

Studying for certs without working in an IT department is emotionally and psychologically stressful. People tend to become introspective and reexamine their motives and desires especially when the new material is difficult. I only found the CCNA to be easy once I started working.

FYI, buying your own equipment is ADDICTING! :D

you're damn right it is. i've blown almost 300 on gear this month alone

(2) 2613's with WIC's
Catalyst 5505 with Supervisor Engine III G (1000base-SX GBIC) and III (100base-tx) and (4) 24 port 10/100 modules
(2) 3640's with max memory
Smart serial back to back cables
T1 Crossover cables

need a couple NM-2FE2W for the 3640's. i want one of the 2613's as a term server so i need a NM-16A/S and an octal cable. Also could use some 2950 switches with EI for study.

i only really have the cat 5505 cause i got a SMOKING deal on it. 80 bucks fully loaded. plan to host a nice mega-LAN around bradford, PA soon.

you're damn right it is. i've blown almost 300 on gear this month alone

(2) 2613's with WIC's
Catalyst 5505 with Supervisor Engine III G (1000base-SX GBIC) and III (100base-tx) and (4) 24 port 10/100 modules
(2) 3640's with max memory
Smart serial back to back cables
T1 Crossover cables

need a couple NM-2FE2W for the 3640's. i want one of the 2613's as a term server so i need a NM-16A/S and an octal cable. Also could use some 2950 switches with EI for study.

i only really have the cat 5505 cause i got a SMOKING deal on it. 80 bucks fully loaded. plan to host a nice mega-LAN around bradford, PA soon.

What cert are you going for?

CCNA with progression into CCNP eventually.

from what i understand the 3640's are relatively flexible and come highly recommended for a home lab. one 2613 will be a term server and the other a frame relay switch. the 5505 was strictly an awesome impulse purchase. i don't have any legit study switches yet. that's in the next batch come next payday.

count me in - if anyone is in the NEPA area i am currently assembling a small lab to help me get my CCNA. ill update more as i go along

I would definitely be down for it. However, due to $$$ issues (being on disability and all) I have been having to put off my test for my CCNA for a long time. But this does sound like a good idea!

I would definitely be down for it. However, due to $$$ issues (being on disability and all) I have been having to put off my test for my CCNA for a long time. But this does sound like a good idea!

More time to study!

It's interesting that you mention this because I've seen a similar trend throughout most certification/educational endeavours.
Half of the logic that drive persons these days is that "Oh, this looks like it'll be good on my resume" or "Everyone else is doing it, why can't I?". :rolleyes:

But, when the pressure kicks in and they realize that it's too difficult to pursue or entirely different from their overall goal, they drop out. I've seen CompTIA and even full university DB classes dwindle down like if there's some infectious disease in the classroom :p

LOL, like my networking class during HS, we had 19 people in our class, around 150 in the entire curriculam and only like 15 of us actually got certs/a job, the rest either dropped out or just failed and went with the flow.

Question of the day:

Code:

a.  Token Ring
b.  PPP
c.  CDDI
d.  FDDI
e.  Frame-relay
f.  HDLC
g.  HIPPI

I know HDLC is the Cisco Default and PPP (which is better because it supports authentication) but I've never studied a third type. Is that beyond the scope of the CCNA?

I'm interested.

I will probably not be focusing on CCNA for another 6-8 months and even then I will probably take classes on it.

Question of the day:

Which routing protocol has the lowest administrative distance:
a. ODR
b. OSPF
c. RIP
d. IS-IS
e. EIGRP (internal)
f. EGP

Question of the Day 2:

You have connected another switch to your network but you are not receiving VTP updates from the VTP Server. What are some reasons for this?

Question of the Day 2:

You have connected another switch to your network but you are not receiving VTP updates from the VTP Server. What are some reasons for this?

- Check to make sure both on same domain
Switch(config)# vtp domain domain-name
- Check to make sure VTP passwords are the same (if using that)
Switch(config)# vtp password password
- If the switch is suppose to be receiving VTP updates, make sure it is not in VTP Server or Transparent Mode
Switch(config)# vtp mode client
- Check to make sure all running the same VTP version (standard is v2)
Switch(config)# vtp version 2
- Check that the link connecting Switch A to Switch B is a trunk link

There's a good link here on VTP stuff.

Sorry guys i got swamped with work at the end of the semester. Should be free next week to cisco out.

So, I spent the last couple days reviewing my CCNA study material and wrote my 640-802 yesterday. I'm kind of a slacker, I took a CCNA botcamp (global knowledge CCNA accelerated course) a year ago, and forgot about my test, remembered on the weekend prior (oops).

some comments:
pace yourself correctly, don't spend too long on one lab. I spent way to long on one of my labs because I did not read the question right. It really screwed me over, and I was hit with another lab near the end of my test, and skipped most of it because I was down to a few minutes. that reading fail cost me the test.

TL;DR READ the questions carefully

tough to calculate exactly what my mark was (they tell you the points required to pass, and how may points you got, but don't tell you how many points the test is out of total), but i'm pretty sure I missed passing by either one or two questions, I beleive it goes against NDA to post what the points were, but i'm pretty mad at myself for that one :(

What equipment is recommended for CCNET/CCNA and up?
I would like to buy new or newer equipment. I don't care much for old routers.

It's a lab. If the gear supports the technology you're studying, why pay more for newer gear? XMs and 3640s support 12.4, which is what the exams are testing on right now. I don't know when 15 is going to be the exam standard, but most things will still work the same.

For my home lab i now have:

3x 3640's with 128D/32F
1x 2610XM that needs maxed
2x 2613's (one for a 4 port frame relay and one for term server)
1x Catalyst 5505

Working on:

(2) or maybe 3 Catalyst 3550's for switches. these will work up thru CCNP so this is one area where spending a few extra bucks now will last you quite a bit longer without a refresh.

I would be interested if someone started this. I used to study for my CCNA, but stopped. Would like to start again and get all my networking certs I can.

Idk what software my gear supports, I have a 2601 series router, a 4006 series switch (My main core, not experiment, yet.) and a 2950XL

Back