• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cayman Possibly Delayed Beyond Nov 22nd

Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 29, 2005
Messages
7,008
Fudo is saying that his close sources from China are saying that they have yet to receive a bios and final boards for the Cayman release expected on the 22nd and the hope of it arriving on time are pretty much gone. This is obviously not what I wanted to see, IF it pans out true it will delay my next PC build as this could be my next card x3. I shouldn't be taking Fudo seriously but either way I thought it was important to throw this out there and make sure if there is some validity to it that noone feel blind sided if it does happen.

No final bios, cards, partners grumpy

"Sources on a small island that doesn’t get along well with red China are informing us that Cayman has little chance to make the scheduled November 22nd launch.

The situation doesn’t look good as the final chip never made it to partners and the final boards are not ready yet. Partners do have early samples, but our sources assured us that there is no final bios and that drivers are not ready.

Just to assure you that this is not Nvidia talking, these guys are all unhappy as they were supposed to get some good sales numbers over the holiday season, as quite a few of people are excited about Cayman.

As of today, November 5th, at least some of the mayor players have no cards, no final bios and no drivers. They are saying the way things worked in the past they would have a small miracle to have full availability at launch. Of course, it's possible that the launch will proceed as expected, but availability is the key issue at this point.

We are sure that many will burn the messenger, but there is nothing we can do about it. We can only hope that we will see some Cayman cards selling in December. "



Here is a source link

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20755-cayman-might-not-make-it-for-22nd-nov-launch

Here's hoping its not true

UPDATE!! 11/7/2010


Heflys has just posted a new link, showing that stories are leaking in from taiwan that yields for Cayman are in the single digits and it will be delayed.

http://www.techeye.net/chips/amds-cayman-christmas-card-delayed-say-taiwanese-sources

Is it too early to say its a sad day in mudsville
 
Last edited:
Fudzilla is by far the most inaccurate of any of the FUD sources and I think NVIDIA bought them years ago. Like any rumor, it's worth noting, but I wouldn't consider it much until at least another source chimes in.
 
I don't even think Fuad cares......He obviously has no qualms posting blatantly biased articles. And then Semi Accurate, seemingly, fillets anything Nvidia.
 
I hope it's Fud, in fact my gut tells me that he's posting this in a way to force AMD's hand to release some information on Cayman and also to perhaps reveal some performance benchmarks. I think that is the agenda here. I hope. I do not want to wait til december for a cayman review. :(
 
Drama, drama, drama. These people like their drama waaaaay to much.
 
I don't even think Fuad cares......He obviously has no qualms posting blatantly biased articles. And then Semi Accurate, seemingly, fillets anything Nvidia.

I don't believe anything Fuad says, as usually it's so woolly, and under sourced, that it's usually pretty meaningless.

But, on the other hand, I don't think he deliberately or maliciously makes stuff up just to suite his own agenda.....
:rolleyes:
 
Over the last year Fudzilla has become PAINFULLY pro Nvidia (and Semiaccurate has continued to be painfully anti Nvidia) so I wouldnt worry about this at all until another source says something. Fuad hasnt been right about a AMD product in years.
 
I really doubt it is delayed, just judging from the 6850/6870 release. They probably not only have final Cayman cards with bios but they've been stockpiling them for weeks. Expect something out on the 22nd, if that date itself is accurate. This is no paper launch.
 
I really doubt it is delayed, just judging from the 6850/6870 release. They probably not only have final Cayman cards with bios but they've been stockpiling them for weeks. Expect something out on the 22nd, if that date itself is accurate. This is no paper launch.

Those cores were VERY smaller then the these new ones.
Fudzilla sucks with ATI information, I'm quietly awaiting the release of these cards, since my 4890 fried and Im using a 4870 512...
 
Could be something to it though, if ATI/AMD wants to wait until Nvidia releases their GTX580.
 
It would be odd to delay it and saying there is no BIOS or board, yet there is a leaked picture of the card already assembled and ready for a sticker to be slapped onto it.

Fudzilla could possibly be lying.
 
Delays can be a good thing, for example to tweak the card further for better performance. Not saying there is a delay, just the fact that a delay doesn't have to be a bad thing.
 
AMD punishing them for leaks, letting companies that respect NDAs get their cards out first?
 
Knew it was FUD as soon as I read the title of the thread.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Doesn't matter if it is delayed or not will it scale as great as Barts. Because that would be something to worry about ;) .
 

For those too lazy to click that link

"Fabless chip shop AMD was set to launch its "Cayman" GPU (aka AMD Radeon HD 6970) in the week of November 22nd - just in time for the tech-Xmas season – but reliable word from the Taiwanese street is that the product has been delayed due to yield problems at apparently not-so-fab Fab TSMC.

The high-end HD 6970 Cayman GPU-based board is reported to have a whopping 2GB of GDDR5 memory and a 256-bit controller which – at least in terms of RAM quantity- is more powerful than Nvidia’s upcoming GeForce GTX 580 card which only sports a sniff-worthy 1.5GB.

Of course, as most people with common sense know, 1GB is more than enough for even the most high end cards, but GPUs are an ego based game and bigger is always better – at least according to the mad men of tech marketing.

It doesn’t matter how big you are, however, if you don’t show up and put some skin in the game which, according to our talkative Taiwanese buddies is likely the case for AMD which simply cannot yield the product in any significant volume at manufacturer TSMC on time.

According to our sources, yields for Cayman are still in the single digits and there's minimal chance AMD will have any shot of achieving its schedule or production/ship targets for Q4. This could also really hurt if Nvidia successfully launches its GTX 580 in volume – despite its smaller RAM offering.

No doubt this will all come to light when samples slated for press testing get held up in the holiday post. We’ll bring you more as we hear it.

Read more: http://www.techeye.net/chips/amds-cayman-christmas-card-delayed-say-taiwanese-sources#ixzz14dmgQcGw"


It seems like this may be last year all over again, but the other way around. I hope not. I really really hope not. More than 1 story is getting me depressed now. :(
 
Nice try with your disinformation bullshits but hardware is already in the hands of AIBs :)
You can use bold and colored text all you want but quoting fudzilla as a source is laughable at bestl. You are right about one thing tho. There will be a paper launch but from Nvidia again.
Top tier hardware sites are not going to get review samples because Nvidia doesn't even have enough cards to send to all of them and whatever cards they have are being sent to paid review sites.
 
Last edited:
If that turns out to be true, I may have to make a "best of" thread from AMD fans saying how AMD knows how to design chips X times better than Nvidia.

Kyle's quote from above seems to discredit it though.
 
Nice try with your disinformation bullshits but hardware is already in the hands of AIBs :)
You can use bold and colored text all you want abut quoting fudzilla as a source is laughable at best lol.

Really? Never mind then. I was updating the topic based on new information.
 
Nice try with your disinformation bullshits but hardware is already in the hands of AIBs :)
You can use bold and colored text all you want. Quoting fudzilla for this is laughable at best lol.

Wow Lorien Get a grip, I'm just posting the information from the link that Heflys posted. Red text to find my take on it easy to read, bold to make the story easier.

Yield rates have little to do with AIBs having the cards. Yield means how many GPU's on the wafer (collective sheet of GPU's is actually usable for the product up to spec) They could have taken 15 workable GPUs from 8 sheets and sent those to partners, meanwhile on the TSMC front the wafers are not getting good yields. (possibly, if this story is to be believed)

Relax man, dont kill the messenger, or in this case the guy that simply made the message easier for you to read. It's not even my message. Although since your usually irrational and your constant AMD fanboyish rantings never cease to amuse I guess I shouldn't be shocked you would post something so rude.
 
Ouch, single digit yields... well, it'll still get out there, though might have to knifefight for the scraps leftover after the oems take their share. Gonna have to try to get this on release day because the MRSP will go nowhere except up. Wow, it's going to be expensive. Two weeks to go!
 
wasn't fud the one saying last year that the gtx 480 was going to be on time in november, december, jan, feb and march? just thought i'd throw that out there.

Truthfully, i think both the 580 and the 6970/6990 will be short supply (the 580 will be REALLY short supply) but i do think the 6950 will be available. I also think that etailers are once again going to gouge the prices.. again...
 
Truthfully, i think both the 580 and the 6970/6990 will be short supply (the 580 will be REALLY short supply) but i do think the 6950 will be available. I also think that etailers are once again going to gouge the prices.. again...

This is what I think also. Both will be available. Similar to 68xx stocking in the begining; in and out of stock for a little while with shady pricing.
 
So it is on track then? Funny how "sources in the know" work like that.


No, I have heard nothing of news of it being on track only 2 stories now of it being delayed. I really dont want this. It was bad enough I was going to have to wait all the way to the 22nd to read reviews on Cayman before I pull the trigger on multiple of either card. Now this is all getting confusing.
 
[H] was probably given their tracking number for the 6970 shipment already. lol
Low yields on 40nm seems like a bunch of FUD, especially since we have 6800 cards.

It's plausible because Cayman is a different architecture all together from Barts. At least from my understanding. In other words they are not using highly yielded Barts to make Cayman it's an entirely different GPU's and eveything is placed in the die differently, those still gotta get baked in the oven and come out on sheets, story from taiwan so far is, its not looking good for the Cayman Yields at this time.

Not sure why people keep bringing up retractions. Neither story has been retracted. I hope I wake up tomorrow morning and read Cayman on track at least some place but there are no retractions at this time and 2 stories from 2 different sources here saying it's delayed, due to yield problems. Not good :(
 
That's why I said never mind.

I hope we hear something different and soon. I'm at defcon 5 mode right now. I didn't plan for this. All I was planning was on how to deal with the temptation to buy the GTX 580 while I wait for reviews for Cayman on the 22nd. Those were going to the the longest 13 days of my life. Depending on how long the card is delayed (if delayed, and these stories hold true) I don't know what I'm going to do.

See my plan is to buy 2 or 3 of either, water blocks etc.. I don't want to invest on water blocks if I may end up switching cards so soon after. I know if Cayman is the fantasy card some believe i will have no choice but to bite on it. Then I'd be forced to sell my 3 GTX 580 and all water cooling equipment and wait till I get a buyer to buy Caynan since I'm not rich but only pretend to be, on weekends. :p
 
:eek: I missed that date !!! LOL. Regardless fud is a joke. I wouldn't get worked up yet. If more reputable sites sart with this, then it may be time to worry a bit. AMD has been pretty sneaky with there specs. I still think both will be available. Just a question of how available.
 
:eek: I missed that date !!! LOL. Regardless fud is a joke. I wouldn't get worked up yet. If more reputable sites sart with this, then it may be time to worry a bit. AMD has been pretty sneaky with there specs. I still think both will be available. Just a question of how available.

I hope nay pray, that your right. :)
 
Delays can be a good thing, for example to tweak the card further for better performance. Not saying there is a delay, just the fact that a delay doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Granted you probably know 100x more than me on these issues, but are there any "tweaks" this late in the game that can affect anything in terms of performance. My understanding is that perhaps they can improve yield, but all the design issues are squared away well in advance...
 
Granted you probably know 100x more than me on these issues, but are there any "tweaks" this late in the game that can affect anything in terms of performance. My understanding is that perhaps they can improve yield, but all the design issues are squared away well in advance...

Not on the chip design level, but tweaks to BIOS, driver, clock frequencies, memory timings, other little things they can do and qualify before launch.
 
Back
Top