Caviar Black Pricing

Kid744

Limp Gawd
Well I was waiting for the egg to reduce the price on the 1TB Caviar Black to 159 bux. Instead they raised it 20 bux to 189. This drive is also made in a 640GB flavor that uses a 2 platter setup. Has anyone seen a 640GB Caviar Black? I understand that the AAKS is considered a Caviar Blue, but I was looking for the Caviar Black series. The 750 does not interest me since it appears to use 3 platters and should have a lower sustained transfer rate as a result. Where are those 640GB Caviar Blacks?

Kid

I thought that is what my first post inferred. Perhaps I should have made it clearer. The 640gb caviar black if available should be priced at approximately 90 bux. I would pay the extra for the 32 meg cache and the second processor in the controller.

Kid

This could turn out to be very interesting to many of us. I could be interested in one of these as a boot drive if it would be slightly better than a regular 640AAKS model.

It's just marketing; Caviar Black, Caviar Blue, who cares? The Black uses the super high areal density platters that allows the 1TB disk to have three platters (334 GB per platter, roughly), and they created the "Caviar Black" drive to differentiate their Terabyte disks from their Green Power drives, which is essentially a 5400RPM drive. Don't worry about the semantics, and I personally believe ~$120 Samsung Spinpoint F1s (also a three platter hard disk design) are much better value than the $50 more expensive Caviar Blacks, and with slightly less performance .

Back