Catlyst 7.1 XP32 X1950XT Display Problem

unclewebb

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a new Sapphire X1950XT with a weird video display corruption problem.

With everything clocked at default speeds CPU & GPU and with no drivers loaded if I go the the CNN site and try to watch a video the commercial plays fine and the video plays fine.

As soon as I install any ATI drivers is when the problem begins.

At the CNN site the commercial continues to play fine but as soon as the news segment starts to play the colors get completely corrupted and look like this:

cnnproblemrs4.png

I've tried the original 6.10 drivers that came on the installation CD that were with the card, I tried the 6.12 drivers as well as the latest 7.1 drivers. All drivers cause the same problem.

My thoughts are that it has to be a driver issue since the graphics card displays this video fine when I uninstall all drivers and no drivers are installed. Does anyone else with an x1900 or x1950 XT or XTX card have any issues like this? Your feedback would be appreciated before I pull out the rest of my hair. :confused:

With the 7.1 drivers, everything else works 100%. Games, DVDs, videos, etc. I'm using Windows XP-32 bit.

Hm..that's the sort of thing I see when I'm running an older version of mediaplayer.

Yup, I had that problem playing certain AVI files with the latest Cats. Installing MP10 or MP11 will update your codecs (you can probably d/l them separately) - I use MP Classic and it plays the files normally after updating.

Yup, I had that problem playing certain AVI files with the latest Cats. Installing MP10 or MP11 will update your codecs
Installing WMP10 cured everything. I'm just playing around with this new system at the moment and hadn't got around to installing a lot of the updates and extras yet.

Thanks for the help

Now that the bugs are gone, I can recommend the Sapphire X1950XT which offers a lot of bang for the buck. Newegg has them on sale for $200 after rebates.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102067

sapphirex1950xtxk5.png

The Sapphire card has no problem overclocking to XTX specs even after being under volted.

Default 1950 XT Clocks:
2D - 500 MHz GPU / 594 MHz memory Temp ~38C
3D - 621 MHz GPU / 900 MHz memory
VGPU = 1.425 volts
VDDCI = 1.486 volts

Overclocked 1950 XT:
3D - 648 MHz GPU / 999 MHz memory Temp ~75C
VGPU = 1.25 volts
VDDCI = 1.40 volts

Default 1950 XTX Clocks:
3D - 650 MHz GPU / 1000 MHz memory

The only problem with the Sapphire card is that it puts out a pile of heat. I put a Zalman VF-900CU on it which helped but lowering the core GPU voltage made a huge difference.

ATI Tool lets you adust voltages with these cards. No fancy soldering skills needed!

Drop VGPU as low as possible without losing stability and you'll really take a lot of heat out of this card. I need to redo it with some AS5 which should help out as well.

VDDCI doesn't effect heat output nearly as much as VGPU does. At default MHz I could run this value down to about 1.20 volts but to overclock the memory from 900 MHz to 999 MHz you'll probably need at least 1.30 volts. I went for 1.40 volts just to keep things stable without adding too much extra heat.

With only 256MB of memory this card won't bench as high as an XTX card but for a lot of real world gaming you'll probably never notice the difference. You'll definitely notice how much money you'll save by getting one.

Back