Catleap - does it blur?

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
1,295
I've been reading a little about the 27" Catleap glossy monitor.

How is the motion blur, compared to my U2311H?
 
Just got mine today and so far I haven't noticed it. Not to say there isn't any, but it must not be distracting enough. I am usually pretty anal about that kind of thing so I guess it must be ok. The only issue I have with the monitor is the super cheap, wobbly stand. Truly a piece of garbage. I am now trying to figure out how to get the back off so I can get to the VESA mounting holes that are conveniently covered.

I purchase the one with "Perfect Pixel" and I must say I do not have any pixel problems. It really is a gorgeous screen and well worth the money (stand not withstanding).
 
I don't notice much motion blur but I don't have your monitor to compare it to.

The stand is actually pretty easy to get off. Guy on overclock posted some pictures if need a guide to look at.
 
I don't notice much motion blur but I don't have your monitor to compare it to.

The stand is actually pretty easy to get off. Guy on overclock posted some pictures if need a guide to look at.

Thanks. I found this one here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club which I assume is the one you are referring to. Now I just need to find a stand.

As for the the motion blur, I just switched out from a Dell 24" LED-LCD monitor that I think had more blur than this one, so I'm happy.
 
How does it compare? This is my monitor: (not my picture.)
Best and worst:
dell_u2311h.jpg

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/pixperan/dell_u2311h.jpg
 
Last edited:
The best monitor I've seen for not bluring is the Asus VG236HE, it looks as if it was etched in stone - text is incredible on it. Hands downs the worst I've seen in my lifetime is the Sony 24 3D Display for the PS3 - my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
All lcds blur. The korean ones have 10ms+ response time like my cinema display, no matter how many screen updates you send to the pixels per second. If anything like my acd, a gorgeous desktop display (high ppi, resolution -> desktop real-estate, uniformity, color). Nothing like a 120hz input , 2ms response time + high RTC TN for appreciable pixel smear reduction on FoV movment though.
.
.. be aware of why 120hz TN monitors reduce blur, and even artifacts due to reducing blur, so much.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/samsung-sm2233rz_10.html#sect0

.

*note that the comparison in the link is a 2ms TN at 120hz vs itself at 60hz, both with aggressive response time compensation - not compared to a 10ms+, non-agressive RTC IPS which would be much worse.
 
So, how would it compare to my current monitor?
Also, does it have much input delay? My Samsung "TV" had input delay, it was annoying.



All lcds blur. The korean ones have 10ms+ response time like my cinema display, no matter how many screen updates you send to the pixels per second. If anything like my acd, a gorgeous desktop display (high ppi, resolution -> desktop real-estate, uniformity, color). Nothing like a 120hz input , 2ms response time + high RTC TN for appreciable pixel smear reduction on FoV movment though.
.


*note that the comparison in the link is a 2ms TN at 120hz vs itself at 60hz, both with aggressive response time compensation - not compared to a 10ms+, non-agressive RTC IPS which would be much worse.
 
I don't know your monitor personally , but I think its listed as 8ms response time in comparing to 10ms+ ips. That is in regard to pixel update delays not input lag though.
.
Even considering the tradeoffs, if the korean monitors are anything like an ACD I think people should grab one (or the microcenter one) for the long haul. a 108.8 ppi high color ips is a gorgeous thing, even if it blurs in games. If I were in the market now I would grab a korean one and suffer the blur, and maybe save up for a 120hz tn in the following year(s) when they hopefully drop a lot in price again. They are priced very high currently. I got my 27" one on sale for $399, and they are now up to around $650. :eek:

... note that some of the korean monitor models/sellers include a scaler, which would add input lag that you are saying you want to avoid. Other models they sell do not. I'm not sure which is which, would have to check the thread.
 
I can tolerate my u23 ghosting, but barely.
So, basically you're telling me to give up games if I buy that monitor.

Still, it might be worth it - if it doesn't have long input delay *eek*

Does anyone here know?

I don't know your monitor personally , but I think its listed as 8ms response time in comparing to 10ms+ ips. That is in regard to pixel update delays not input lag though.
.
Even considering the tradeoffs, if the korean monitors are anything like an ACD I think people should grab one (or the microcenter one) for the long haul. a 108.8 ppi high color ips is a gorgeous thing, even if it blurs in games. If I were in the market now I would grab a korean one and suffer the blur, and maybe save up for a 120hz tn in the following year(s) when they hopefully drop a lot in price again. They are priced very high currently. I got my 27" one on sale for $399, and they are now up to around $650. :eek:

... note that some of the korean monitor models/sellers include a scaler, which would add input lag that you are saying you want to avoid. Other models they sell do not. I'm not sure which is which, would have to check the thread.
 
http://down.playwares.com/xe/files/attach/images/53/880/046/fdac7f4b97dbe8c01002fb0bd7a3e0b8.jpg

If you look at the chart the U2311H is in there, the Yamaski Catleap is faster than the U2311H.

Yamaski Catleap: 11.4/11.4/13.6/9.3 vs U2311H: 15.4/17.5/19.5/9.3 measured response times

Input lag is very low on all dual-link dvi only models due to the lack of a scaler. When I measured the input lag on the Crossover 27Q vs my Asus VG236H with the SMT Tool 2.0 the Crossover was behind by around 5ms which puts the Crossover's input lag around 10ms which is <1 frame, the other models should be the same.

Get a 120hz TN if you want better motion performance.
 
Wow!
Thanks!

http://down.playwares.com/xe/files/attach/images/53/880/046/fdac7f4b97dbe8c01002fb0bd7a3e0b8.jpg

If you look at the chart the U2311H is in there, the Yamaski Catleap is faster than the U2311H.

Yamaski Catleap: 11.4/11.4/13.6/9.3 vs U2311H: 15.4/17.5/19.5/9.3 measured response times

Input lag is very low on all dual-link dvi only models due to the lack of a scaler. When I measured the input lag on the Crossover 27Q vs my Asus VG236H with the SMT Tool 2.0 the Crossover was behind by around 5ms which puts the Crossover's input lag around 10ms which is <1 frame, the other models should be the same.

Get a 120hz TN if you want better motion performance.
 
You can try and get a Catleap Q270 with the 2B PCB over at 120hz.net. That would get you the LG panel with 120hz capability cheaper. Only catch is that they are built in very limited quantity and therefore difficult to get.
 
my catleap has about 25-30ms and is really blurry
i guess i got one with a slower panel

What version PCB? The level of overdrive seems to vary somewhat among models. It's possible yours has none at all, making it as slow as the Apple.

AFAIK, they all use the same 2009 LG panel (6ms fudged figure, 12ms g2g with some overdrive, 25ms+ with no overdrive).
 
hm i don't know (didn't open it up yet)
but its a regular 60hz 2C

i always thought there was a "12ms / 1.08 billion colors" and a faster-rated one with 8-bit color
 
The 27" ACD (apple cinema display) is listed in most reviews as 10ms - 12ms response time, which is pretty similar to the lowest response time korean ones. My ACD definitely blurs on motion badly. Otherwise gorgeous display with fine ppi and lots of desktop real-estate, uniformity, color. Similar monitor for under $400 is an awesome deal, blur or not.
 
Back
Top